Mark Bowman described by a leading directory as “developing a niche practice in the drugs trial field” has recovered compensation for a second client who was overdosed during a clinical trial at University College London Hospital (UCLH).
Aidan, who is now 26, developed pain in his groin in early 2007. He visited his GP and was referred to a specialist who diagnosed him with testicular cancer.
Aidan was referred to UCLH for chemotherapy. Aidan was advised about a number of chemotherapy regimes to treat the cancer, including the TE23 trial that the hospital was part of. Aidan enrolled on to the trial.
Under the trial, patients were randomised into two groups. In the first group patients would receive standard chemotherapy treatment involving the prescription of bleomycin, etoposide and cisplatin. This is known as “BEP” chemotherapy.
In the second group, an experimental regime involving five drugs, namely bleomycin, cisplatin, etoposide, carboplatin and vincristine, was prescribed. This is known as “CBOP-BEP” chemotherapy.
The trial, was investigating whether CBOP-BEP chemotherapy was more effective than BEP chemotherapy.
From April to July 2007 Aidan made regular trips to UCLH, to receive CBOP-BEP chemotherapy.
At the end of Aidan’s treatment on the CBOP-BEP regime it was discovered that he had been massively overdosed with one of the chemotherapy drugs, bleomcyin, which can seriously effect lung function.
The mistake was only realised as another patient that had been receiving CBOP-BEP chemotherapy at UCLH at around the same time as Aidan, had also been overdosed. Sadly that patient died as a result of the bleomcyin overdose. Mark won compensation for the deceased’s estate.
As a result of Aidan’s overdose he began to experience shortness of breath, likely to have been caused by an overdose of bleomycin.
Aidan instructed Mark Bowman to pursue a claim against UCLH after he read about Mark’s previous successful claim against UCLH.
Mark investigated a claim against UCLH and alleged that Aidan had suffered shortness of breath as a result of the negligent overdose of bleomycin.
In May 2011, only four months after Mark had been instructed, UCLH offered to pay Aidan £15,000 compensation, which he was happy to accept.
"I was very happy with the way Mark acted on my behalf. I was kept up to date with everything that went on and it was dealt with quickly and in a very professional manner."
- You can speak to our clinical negligence solicitors on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete our short enquiry form
All enquiries are completely free of charge and we will investigate all funding options for you including no win, no fee.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
Fieldfisher boosts its leading medical negligence team with partner Jenny Urwin joining in March
Leading medical negligence lawyers Fieldfisher has hired Jenny Urwin, Slater and Gordon Lawyers' Manchester head of clinical negligence.
A Face in the Crowd: Maxillofacial Trauma Conference
Fieldfisher is pleased to be running a conference in London on the 15th March 2018 to discuss different aspects of maxillofacial injuries.
Medical Negligence and Personal Injury Teams top the Legal 500 rankings
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence teams have been listed tier 1 in the Legal 500 rankings.
Fixed costs: The end of patient justice
A letter from the Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA), the charity for patient safety and justice, published in the Telegraph this week, asked the Health Secretary to reconsider proposals concerning fixed costs in clinical negligence claims.
Bridget Collier leads Fieldfisher sponsored walk for Greater Manchester Asbestos Victim Support Group Charity
Fieldfisher represents parents of Yousef Al-Kharboush who died in ITH Pharma contaminated baby feed case