Charles Whiddington, Partner, Regulatory
- London office
- Download v-card
- +44 (0)20 7861 4966 +32 (0)2 742 70 00
I am a competition partner in the Regulatory Department, specialising in supporting international clients involved in cartel and sector investigations by national or European Commission authorities, as well as providing strategic advice on licensing and distribution which is practical and useful. I also provide support on the competition aspects of mergers and JVs.
I am an integral member of Fieldfisher's Energy Sector Group and my experience includes advising electricity and gas companies in the European Commission's sector inquiries, antitrust investigations concerning third party access, pricing at the flange, application of electricity and gas network codes. I have advised a number of interconnectors including I(UK), BritNed, ElecLink and Eirgrid.
I have represented a number of clients involved in national and international cartel investigations in a range of sectors including banking, airlines, liner shipping, energy, automotive and travel agency fees.
My recent cartel experience includes:
- Representing All Nippon Airways, Inc. in connection with follow-on damages actions after successfully defending it in the European Commission air cargo surcharges cartel;
- Successfully representing a Japanese bank in the Libor/Tibor cartel investigation by the European Commission;
- Representing an auto parts manufacturer in several car parts cartel investigations;
- Representing Tokai Rika in the occupant safety system cartel investigation which was settled with the European Commission;
- Representing a shipping company in the car carrier cartel investigation which was settled with the European Commission.
I am credited by the Legal 500 as being an 'experienced competition lawyer’ with a ‘sharp legal mind’.
I trained in London and then New York and am admitted to practice in England & Wales, New York and Ireland. I am involved in our US and Japanese strategies. I regularly provide compliance training and counselling to companies and trade associations.