Owen Talfan Davies, Partner, Real Estate Litigation
I am a commercial litigator, and specialise in advising on complex litigation and arbitration disputes in the real estate and energy sectors. I also employ other forms of dispute resolution, including mediation.
I have a number of sub-specialisms, including advising on insolvency and fraud related issues in the real estate sector; seeking and obtaining pre-emptive injunctive relief to protect land and other commercial interests; and I advise and act on the full gamut of property related disputes. I also, given my extensive knowledge of real estate disputes, frequently provide strategic support on large and complex property transactions with a view to avoiding and pre-empting disputes.
I am ranked as a leading individual in my practice areas; in the field of property litigation Legal 500 commentary describes me as 'incredibly bright, extremely likeable and result-oriented', 'very exceptional', 'a star in this field', and 'not afraid to think about problems differently' . The same directory says, '[Owen] takes complex matters in his stride'. In the field of professional negligence, Legal 500 commentary says that I am 'noted for [my] experience in real estate-related professional negligence cases', that I have 'in-depth expertise in property-related negligence work', that my 'factual and legal analysis is always spot on', and that I am 'a man you want on your side'.
My recent highlights include:
- acting for a developer in the High Court on one of the largest property cases (by value of claim) in UK history - a £750 million breach of confidence claim relating to a mixed use central London development;
- acting for a number of energy clients in obtaining pre-emptive injunctions protecting land interests, supply chains and other commercial interests;
- acting for a number of developers in obtaining pre-emptive injunctions against the 'world at large', protecting urban regeneration development sites from acts of trespass;
- acting for numerous victims of property fraud (in claims in negligence and breach of trust against firms of solicitors and agents);
- acting in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and expert determination proceedings in a dispute concerning the sale of Heathrow's Terminal 5 site to BAA;
- acting in the High Court and the Court of Appeal in judicial review proceedings relating to the compulsory acquisition and development of a site on the Canary Wharf estate;
- acting for the administrators of a large chain of DIY stores in respect of a property portfolio comprising over 150 leasehold properties;
- acting for numerous developers on their acquisitions and developments of a number of central London sites (recently acting on Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 possession proceedings relating to development sites with a combined gross development value in excess of £3 billion);
- acting in the High Court and in arbitration proceedings for a landlord in a £multi-million claim relating to the re-letting of the 170,000 square foot London headquarters of a FTSE 100 British broadcasting company;
- acting for a landlord in a service charge dispute relating to a complex mixed-use development scheme comprising over 700 residential units and 40 commercial premises;
- acting in proceedings against a large firm of solicitors in respect of a substantial damages claim arising under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1988.
I frequently lecture, write for legal journals and provide commentary in the legal and national press on contentious property and energy sector related disputes. A considerable number of my cases have appeared in the legal and national press, and have been the subject of coverage on national and international television news programmes.