James Tinworth, Partner
- United Kingdom office
- Download v-card
- +44 (0) 20 7861 4109 07551 262827
I provide funds and UK financial services regulatory advice. My funds work focuses on hedge funds but I can advise in relation to all types of fund structures. I am a specialist in the AIFMD.
I regularly advise on the structuring, establishment, operation and restructuring of investment funds. I have experience of a wide variety of fund structures (both open and closed-ended, including hybrid hedge-private equity funds and UCITS) established in a number of jurisdictions (both onshore and offshore). I have advised on numerous fund launches for clients ranging from small start-ups to large, established fund managers. I regularly draft, negotiate and advise on the full range of fund-related documentation (including non-standard documentation such as side letters, managed accounts, remuneration deferral arrangements, performance fee wording etc.). I regularly counsel in relation to the UK regulatory regime, the AIFMD and other EU legislation, financial promotion rules, conduct of business issues and other aspects of the FCA Handbook. I also advise investors on the legal issues relating to investments in funds.
"…thinks in a way that really adapts to each case, providing customised service that takes into account the broader commercial context" (The Legal 500 UK 2019).
I like to swim and go to the gym for exercise and relaxation. I try to keep up with my boys (generally and, specifically, on Super Mario Kart). I am an Arsenal supporter (non-practicing).
- For a MiFID investment manager, I successfully advised how a fund could be structured so that it would not be an AIF. This meant that the client did not need to vary its FCA permissions and become an AIFM.
- Ravel - I advised my long-standing client in relation to the re-launch of its European long/short equity hedge fund. The fund was structured as a single-legged master-feeder (Cayman corporates).
- New fund - I advised a new UK-based client in relation to the launch of its first AIF. It is a shipping derivatives fund, which is structured as a company in the Cayman Islands.
- New fund management business – I acted as UK/EU counsel on the launch of a two-legged master/feeder energy and natural resources hedge fund (Cayman corporates/Delaware partnership) and advised on the shareholders agreement relating to the investment manager. partnership) and advised on the shareholders agreement.
- Manager Platform – I advised a new business in relation to its agreement with a manager platform/umbrella/incubator and the connected appointed representative/secondment arrangements.
- LLP work - I advised a US manager in relation to setting up a LLP to accommodate a UK resident individual and a new fund management business, which was spinning out of its former employer but forming a LLP with it.