Helen Mulcahy, Partner, Dispute Resolution
I am a partner in commercial dispute resolution with particular emphasis on financial services issues. I represent funds and entrepreneurs in banking and finance disputes as well as in complex commercial disputes.
I am also experienced in shareholder disputes, frauds, regulatory disputes and resolving art and auction law disputes.
I am an accredited solicitor advocate with higher rights of audience in all courts and have represented clients in the High Court. I qualified in Australia in 1996 and moved to London in 1998.
Legal 500 has quoted my approach as 'confident, very professional, ethical and detailed-oriented’, and I have been 'particularly recommended for cross-border disputes.’ as well as having 'a strong practice in finance-related litigation, including bondholder and noteholder disputes.’
I have had articles published in the New Law Journal and Commercial Litigation Journal.
Disputes in my practice are varied and have included:
- Acting for noteholders in disputes with IBRC and other banks over the expropriation of notes following an exchange offer for new notes which were valued at substantially less than the existing notes, setting precedent in Assenagon Asset Management SA v Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Ltd  EWHC 2090 (Ch) (27 July 2012).
- Advising an art collector about a substantial collection which failed to sell at auction by a reputable auction house. I am a member of PAIAM.
- Successfully represented three of the defendants in the Michael Douglas & Ors -v- Hello! trial as solicitor-advocate on issues of breach of confidence and privacy.
- Acting for a technology supplier in an arbitration with an insurance broker.
- Advising a global bank on regulatory matters.