James Lewis, Director, Dispute Resolution
I am a dispute resolution lawyer with over ten years of experience in commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings.
I have a particular expertise in advising clients on breach of contract disputes. This covers advice at the drafting stage on dispute resolution clauses and risk assessment for enforcement, through advising on options during the life of a contract, to representing clients in pursuing their rights through to full legal proceedings. I am experienced in high court litigation, arbitration under various institutional rules, and mediation. I am also a qualified solicitor-advocate.
My clients come from a range of industries including finance, shipping, energy & natural resources, technology and international trade. Current and recent cases include:
- Acting for a high net worth client in respect of an application to set aside a worldwide freezing order in respect of a claim alleging conspiracy to divert oil monies valued at over $350 million. The dispute includes complicated issues of Russian law and jurisdiction.
- Acting for a Cayman Islands based fund in respect of litigation to secure amounts due under a credit facility agreement from an Isle of Man based holding company for businesses in Southern Africa. The main issues include interpretation of events of default and discretion on exercise of enforcement rights.
- Advising a major satellite services owner / operator, in relation to insurance claims worth a combined value of over US$100 million arising out of the failure of an in-orbit satellite.
- Advising former licensees in the Ugandan telecommunications industry in respect of action to secure a negotiated repayment of money owed by a Sudanese bank under the terms of a letter of credit.
- Representing the owner of a football club based in a CIS country in a €15 million dispute with a German contractor arising out of the reconstruction of its stadium under a FIDIC contract (ICC arbitration based in Vienna), on issues including design specifications and compliance for international UEFA standards, programming and delay, quantification of additional costs and delay damages, and then further advice in relation to international enforcement issues.
- Advising a high net worth individual on the suspension, investigation and restart of a major private dwelling construction project, and associated claim against the former project manager and architect.
- Advising an electrical engineering company on liability arising out of the failure of power equipment supplied to a mine in Norway. The main issues were the effective use of expert evidence on the causes of the failure and strategic advice on bringing in other related parties including the original manufacturer.
In my spare time I love to get on the golf course, and I am a keen follower of the England cricket team.