Aymen Khoury, Partner, Dispute Resolution
I am a partner in the Dispute Resolution group.
I act for corporate and private clients in High Court and International Arbitration commercial matters. As well as assisting various clients in the UK, my practice has a strong international dimension and includes a focus on the Middle East and acting for clients from and/or on cases with a connection to the region. I also have extensive experience of acting for clients from Russia and the CIS as well as the Far East.
My expertise is in contractual disputes, particularly post M&A disputes, misrepresentation claims, guarantee claims, banking and financial disputes but also in trust disputes and professional negligence claims. I have considerable experience in large complex claims arising from fraud (including dishonest assistance and unlawful means conspiracy claims) and various forms of injunctive relief, including freezing orders and injunctions related to confidential information and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
I am an Arabic speaker and co-founded the Arab Legal Forum of which I am a managing Committee Member. I am also registered to practise in the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre.
Legal 500 describes me as "Very tenacious and imaginative".
My experience includes:
- Acting for a company in relation to trade financing arrangements where allegations of fraud led to a claim of US$500m by a leading UAE bank.
- Acting on behalf of a Lebanese-owned leading manufacturer in Africa in relation to misrepresentation, misappropriation and breach of fiduciary duties claims which involved the Lebanese, BVI, Angolan, Portuguese and Isle of Man jurisdictions.
- Acting for a UK investment fund in a claim for damages of over £100 million against one of the largest UK banks in relation to a repurchase facility provided by the bank.
- Acting for a leading international company on multi-jurisdictional claims to restrain the misuse of confidential information by a competitor.
- Acting for Ukrainian nationals in a fraud claim relating to an alleged Trust created by a deceased member of the family consisting of assets across various jurisdictions estimated to be worth over $200 million.
- Acting for a high net worth client to set aside a worldwide freezing order in respect of a claim of conspiracy to divert oil monies valued at over $350 million.
- Acting for a Chinese company to defend an arbitration claim in relation to a film distribution agreement.
- Acting for a Kazakhstani oil production company in an LCIA Arbitration relating to projects across the Middle East.
- Advising and working on site in Saudi Arabia for a leading international company in connection with an investigation relating to allegations made by a competitor company.
- Acting for a group of Chinese companies to defend guarantee claims relating to forward freight agreement trades.
- Acting for a US telecommunications company in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration claim against a UAE entity.
- Acting for individuals in relation to a claim of Missing Trader Intra-Community fraud against HMRC involving c. £10 million.
I am a keen sportsman and enjoy the theatre, film, and playing drums in my spare time.