Aymen Khoury, Partner, Dispute Resolution
I am a partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
I deal with a broad range of complex High Court, Court of Appeal and Arbitration commercial/corporate cases often with an international dimension. My particular focus is the Middle East and I regularly act for corporate and private clients from the Middle East and/or work on cases with a connection to the region. I also have extensive experience of acting for clients from the CIS and Russia.
My practice encompasses contractual disputes, including misrepresentation claims and disputes relating to share purchase agreements and guarantees, as well as banking and financial disputes, trust disputes, partnership disputes and professional negligence claims. I also have particular expertise in claims arising from fraud and dishonest assistance claims and in contractual disputes relating to confidential information and the enforcement of restrictive covenants (including injunctions to enforce covenants and restrain breaches of contract and misuse of confidential information).
I am an Arabic speaker, and I co-founded the Arab Legal Forum of which I am a managing Committee Member. I am also registered to practice in the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre.
Legal 500 describes me as "Very tenacious and imaginative".
My experience includes:
- Acting for a company in relation to trade financing arrangements where allegations of fraud led to a claim of US$500m by a leading UAE bank.
- Acting on behalf of a Lebanese-owned leading manufacturer in Africa in relation to misrepresentation, misappropriation and breach of fiduciary duties claims which involved the Lebanese, BVI, Angolan, Portuguese and Isle of Man jurisdictions.
- Acting for a UK investment fund in a claim for damages of over £100 million against one of the largest UK banks in relation to a repurchase facility provided by the bank.
- Acting for a leading international company on multi-jurisdictional claims to restrain the misuse of confidential information by a competitor.
- Acting for Ukrainian nationals in a fraud claim relating to an alleged Trust created by a deceased member of the family consisting of assets across various jurisdictions estimated to be worth between $150-200 million.
- Acting for a high net worth client to set aside a worldwide freezing order in respect of a claim of conspiracy to divert oil monies valued at over $350 million.
- Acting for a Chinese company to defend an arbitration claim in relation to a film distribution agreement.
- Acting for a Kazakhstani oil production company in an LCIA Arbitration relating to projects across the Middle East.
- Advising and working on site in Saudi Arabia for a leading international company in connection with an investigation relating to allegations made by a competitor company.
- Acting for a group of Chinese companies to defend guarantee claims relating to forward freight agreement trades.
- Acting for a US telecommunications company in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration claim against a UAE entity.
- Acting for individuals in relation to a claim of Missing Trader Intra-Community fraud against HMRC involving c. £10 million.
I have contributed articles to the trade and legal press (including Fraud Intelligence Journal and Company Secretary Review) on various topics. I have authored chapters on litigation risk and reputational risk in Managing Business Risk, a leading textbook on risk management. I also contributed to the second edition of Commercial Enforcement, the leading textbook on methods of enforcement of civil judgments.
Languages spoken: Arabic.
I am a keen sportsman and enjoy the theatre, film, opera and playing drums in my spare time.