Caron Heyes, Senior Associate, Medical Negligence
I am a solicitor in our Clinical Negligence team in London. I pursue clinical negligence claims on behalf of patients across a broad spectrum of claim types, including obstetrics and gynaecology, neonatology, oncology, cardiology, Emergency, fertility and patient rights. I have a particular expertise in complex neonatal, obstetric, surgical mismanagement and accident claims. I am also experienced in providing advice and representation at inquests.
The Legal 500, and Chambers, UK, a Client's Guide to the Legal Profession, have repeatedly recognised my expertise as a leader in the field of Clinical negligence, and recommended me as an "experienced, adept and supportive lawyer" and "a star associate".
During the last 12 months I have:
- obtained an anonymity order protecting the privacy of a family whose private details were of interest to the press because their second child was born due to errors in labelling sperm they were using during an IVF procedure
- Obtained a financial settlement in 6 figures for the above
- Settled a case for the disabled daughter of a mum who died following substandard mental health treatment in the sum of £900000
- Settled a case for a patient whose ulcerative colitis condition was very badly mismanaged, so that he was left with permanent subfertility and sexual dysfunction in the sum of £315,000, a large sum of which was for fertility treatment
- Obtained an admission of liability in a birth injury claim, where the child was severely brain injured during labour and his parents have also suffered psychological injuries
- Obtained an admission of liability in a neonatal injury claim, and obtained a £500,000 interim payment on account of damages which is being used to fund care and accommodation needs
I am a member of the Law Society Clinical Negligence Accreditation Panel, and of APIL.
I regularly deliver legal training in person, and by webinar, which I devise and present.
Chambers UK 2015 describes me as a "very capable associate who always provides first-class service"