Julia Dodds, Director, Dispute Resolution
I am a highly experienced dispute resolution lawyer with more than 13 years' experience of advising UK and international businesses in commercial disputes. I typically get involved in high-value matters where both the facts and the legal issues are complex and getting to grips with these and the client's business priorities are essential to the outcome. My practice spans both litigation and arbitration and my clients are often drawn from the financial services, energy and natural resources, or infrastructure sectors.
I have particular expertise in cross-border litigation, advising on complex jurisdiction scenarios and conflicts of law. This is, in part, a result of my specialist practice in competition damages claims where I have ten years' experience of acting for both claimants and defendants in actions in the UK Competition Tribunal, the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
With a previous career as a financial journalist I enjoy employing my skills as an investigator and communicator to develop my clients' cases to best effect and my knowledge of the industry assists me in advising clients in the banking and financial services sector.
I am always alive to my client's economic and business priorities and focus on delivering pragmatic solutions. While thoroughly prepared to fight my clients' corner, I regularly achieve advantageous outcomes for clients through settlement or mediation where the cost/benefit analysis makes this appropriate.
I have been recommended in the Legal 500, which described me as "outstanding, extremely fast, proactive and solution-oriented."
I am particularly proud of the result achieved for our client in the copper tubes cartel litigation. Our strategy involved bringing and managing claims against additional defendants from across Europe, persistent investigation of available sources of historic evidence, and driving the negotiation of contribution amongst the defendant group. The result was that were able not just to defray our client's liability, but to drive down the overall settlement figure.
Notable Deals and highlights:
- Advising Cypriot and Swiss clients on the defence of a conspiracy claim in the English High Court by a Russian claimant. An aggressive strategy of challenges to the jurisdiction and early applications for security for costs resulted in unilateral withdrawal of the claim.
- Defending a Jersey-based company in high-profile, multi-party litigation regarding the enforceability of an Islamic finance bond. The case spans the English court and the UAE, with substantive proceedings in both and multiple injunctive applications.
- Advising a Middle Eastern commodities trader on a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim in arbitration in the ICC in Paris.
- Defending Boliden AB, a publicly-listed Swedish mining and metals company in an English claim for competition damages in the copper tubes litigation. A number of other parties were brought into the litigation as contributors and settlement achieved on advantageous terms following a multi-party mediation
- Acting for Siemens plc in an intervention in an appeal in the Competition Appeal Tribunal (National Grid plc v Gas and Electricity Markets Authority ) and the Court of Appeal. With Ofgem's finding of abuse of dominance against National Grid upheld, we then went on to advise Siemens on its follow-on damages claim, initiating a claim in the CAT before achieving settlement following mediation
- Acting for senior employees of an insolvent engineering firm in the defence and settlement of a breach of duty claim against them by its liquidators. The claim related to a tender for and project management of a biomass energy plant, involving analysis of construction failings as well as the scope of directors' duties.
In my spare time I enjoy gardening, cooking for family and friends, art, film, concerts and mooching around in junk shops. Having just about shaken off the kids I am looking forward to lots more international travel.