Andrew Dodd, Partner, IP and Technology, Protection and Enforcement
I am a partner in our IP and technology dispute resolution group and lead the firm's IT and telecoms disputes practice. My principal practice area is the prosecution and defence of substantial disputes arising out of outsourcing, technology and communications contracts.
I act for major IT suppliers and leading UK telecommunications operators. I also advise various public sector clients in relation to significant outsourcing and data security disputes. My practice encompasses the entire lifecycle of a dispute, from early strategic advice in relation to troubled IT projects, through pro-active dispute resolution by means of mediation and culminating in extensive court and arbitration expertise.
I regularly advise clients in relation to complex implementation, service and sub-contractor issues arising from the outsourcing of IT and telephonic services.
I also have a significant franchise litigation practice as part of a team which is ranked by Who's Who Franchise in the top 10 law firms globally. I advise large corporates, franchisors and groups of franchisees. I have acted in several significant franchise disputes in both the UK and overseas for household name clients in the retail sector.
Recent case highlights include acting for:
- a worldwide company specialising in IT consultancy and support services, in its multi-million pound dispute with a supplier arising from the termination of a major project supporting the BBC's DNI project.
- an international telecoms company in its defence of a claim brought by an operating partner involving services in multiple jurisdictions in EMEA and the Americas;
- a corporate consortium on various issues arising from the implementation of a transport ticketing system, including complex issues arising from software implementation, IPR exchange and shareholder obligations under both lead and sub contracts.
- a software customer in a dispute with its supplier about Oracle licence support for a customer information system.
- a prominent broadcasting client in its dispute with a supplier about the development of a satellite television platform.
- a leading UK care home provider in its successful claim against franchisees in the leading recent English High Court judgment in this sector.
- a leading high street bank on various multi-million pond claims arising from the closure of a network of banking agencies.
- a group of more than 100 franchisees in a dispute concerning their franchisor's level and quality of support to their businesses, and advising many of those on possible exits from the network.
I have regularly been recommended in Legal 500, and am listed in recent editions of Who's Who Legal. I contribute regularly to various professional publications and have commented in The Times, FT.com, New Law Journal, IT Law Today and Franchise Law Journal.