Samantha Critchley, Partner, Medical Negligence
- London office
- Download v-card
- View on LinkedIn
- +44 (0)20 7861 4263
I specialise in medical negligence claims and I am on the specialist Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA) panel.
The medical negligence compensation claims I specialise in handling include:
- Fetal medicine claims (wrongful birth claims)
- Obstetric claims (Erb’s palsy, traumatic deliveries, pre-eclampsia, stillbirth and brain injuries)
- Paediatric claims
- Neurology claims (acquired brain injury and tumours)
- Gynaecology claims (cervical, ovarian and breast cancers)
- Ophthalmology claims, general surgery claims and orthopaedic claims.
I also represent clients at inquests where a death has arisen from suspected medical negligence.
I also undertake some personal injury and product liability work. I am a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and have attained the accredited level of Senior Litigator.
I have spoken at the 2nd Joint Conference of The Expert Witness Institute and the Institute of Psychiatry. I regularly lecture on the issue of MRSA and Hospital Acquired Infection. I have spoken at several midwifery study days on legal aspects of caring for women with pre-eclampsia. I have been interviewed for both television and radio regarding topical clinical negligence issues. I am an active fundraiser for charity including, most recently, AvMA, and the Child Brain Injury Trust (CBIT).
I have settled many high profile cases. Examples of my work include:
- In 2013 securing admissions of liability in three cases involving serious brain injury suffered in birth - cord prolapse, placental abruption and negligent forceps technique. The cases are ongoing and interim payments have been secured to support ongoing care and therapies and accommodation costs as it is to early to assess prognosis for these children;
- £4.5 million settlement for 47 year old woman who suffered brain damage following hydrocephalus as a result of an undiagnosed brain tumour;
- £1.35 million damages in a wrongful birth case concerning the failure by hospital staff to detect serious birth abnormalities;
£625,000 in a surgicl negligence claim when a bowel abscess went undiagnosed resulting in a serious neurological injury and chronic pain;
Winning several awards for children who sustained serious brachial plexus injuries (Erb’s Palsy) at birth; ranging from £320,000 - £405,750;
£1m - in case against plastic surgeon Nigel Sacks for botched breast augmentation surgery;
£1.25m brain damage after appendicitis case;
£1,075,000 in claim against MOD for delay in diagnosis of bowel cancer;
£500,000 for women left infertile and unable to carry a baby following delay in diagnosis of cervial cancer;
£310,000 for ballet teacher left unable to damce following negligence hip replacement surgery;
£200,000 in negligent treatment of testicular cancer resulting in death;
£135,000 for a young mother who sustained a 3rd degree obstetric tear during the delivery of her baby, which left her incontinent;
£60,000 for psychiatric injuries suffered by a young mother following the death of her first child after failure to diagnose breech presentation;
£140,000 for man who underwent negligently performed hernia operation which caused fertility problems requiring IVF;
Chambers & Partners 2014 says: "Sam continues to impress sources across the market with her broad medical negligence expertise encompassing cases concerning surgical negligence, obstetrics, paediatrics and neurology."
The Legal 500 2014 describes me as being "in the top 10% of lawyers in this area"
If you would like to discuss a case with me, please don't hesitate to call me directly on 020 7861 4263 or email samantha.critchley@Fieldfisher.com