Mikhail Basisty, Partner, Corporate
I am a partner in the Corporate department in London. I am a member of the firm's Russia & CIS Group and have experience in advising entrepreneurs and businesses from the CIS region, particularly Russia and Ukraine. I am qualified to practise law in England and Wales and Russia.
I specialise in cross-border corporate and commercial matters and regularly advise clients on private acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and corporate governance issues.
I have experience in advising clients from a number of industry sectors, in particular, energy and natural resources, technology, media & telecoms and transport. My representative experience includes:
• acting for a CIS client in relation to the potential formation of a joint venture with leading international tobacco manufacturers;
• acting for a client in an acquisition of an interest in North Sea gas field;
• advising a client on its acquisition of a substantial stake in Premier league football club;
• acting for a CIS based bank on the sale of 100% shares in its subsidiary for approximately US$50 million;
• advising a major Ukrainian business group on a joint venture to operate a major airline;
• advising a client on a sale of its Russian business, a leading company in development and implementation of hygiene solutions for farming and food industry;
• assisting Russian businesses with structuring their international IP holdings and operations.
In addition, I help clients to navigate through complex commercial disputes. Notable dispute resolution matters include representing a client in a US$1.9 billion claim by one of the largest banks of Ukraine.
I graduated from Moscow State Institute of International Affairs in 2003 and then qualified as an English solicitor in 2009.
I speak Russian (native) and English.