Philip Abbott, Partner, Banking
My practice includes a range of transactional, advisory and restructuring work, with particular expertise in real estate finance, fintech, banking and asset management.
I advise lenders and borrowers on new loan transactions principally in real estate finance, asset management, technology and life sciences.
I also advise debt and equity investors, corporates and other professional advisers on complex corporate and finance documentation in the context of corporate and insolvency law.
A large part of my work focuses on the intersection between traditional financing structures and new technology – an area where clients increasingly require astute legal guidance, due to the rapid evolution of FinTech capabilities and accompany regulation.
I have over 20 years' experience and am ranked as a "leading individual" by both Chambers UK 2018 and the Legal 500 2017.
I have been described as "pragmatic and commercial", leading a team that "decodes complex legal concepts into easily understandable language" and "with enormous energy and commitment on complex transactions".
Clients include international banks, hedge funds, real estate funds and corporates.
I am a regular contributor to Fieldfisher's real estate finance blog – REFlections from the Riverbank – and an active member of CREFC on the leadership committee of their Intercreditors Working Group and an active member of the Loan Market Association and the Urban Land Institute.
I am also a keen cyclist, runner and regularly participate in charity cycling events for Fieldfisher and in a personal capacity.
My experience includes:
- Advising lenders and borrowers on a range of development and investment financings in the UK, including a range of operating assets (hotels, student accommodation, care homes) as well as retail, office and logistics
- Advising on a range of matters to a start-up financial institution in the UK
- Advising an international lender on a range of debt financings in the innovation industries(fintech/life sciences/ tech)
- Advising the investors in a retirement village developer and operator on the corporate and debt restructuring of its business, creating a better return for all creditors
- Advising overseas investors on the rescue by way of debt purchase, refinancing and rebranding, of a UK hotel portfolio that was in receivership