The Middle East is a fast changing and dynamic market. Businesses operating in the region require lawyers who are innovative and dynamic in order to maintain their competitive edge.
We have extensive experience of acting for Middle Eastern clients in both contentious and transactional work. Our clients include private and public organisations from a range of sectors, but in particular from technology and telecoms, media, property and aviation and central government. We have specific expertise in intellectual property, public and regulatory work, and corporate finance. We are continuously involved in significant litigation and arbitration as well as complex transactions, often set in a multi-jurisdictional context.
We have the knowledge and resources to provide rapid, tailored commercial advice to companies and private clients who conduct business within the Middle East and farther afield. We have worked with some of the leading law firms across the region and our team includes individuals who have worked in the region and are qualified to practice in the Dubai International Financial Court.
As such, our cross-sector team recognises the unique features of conducting business in the Middle East and understands first-hand the expectations of clients working in the region.
Notable deals / highlights
- Acting for and advising various high net-worth clients and Ruling families from the Middle East region
- Acting for the claimants in a series of ICC arbitration proceedings focused on Middle East shareholder disputes and relating to the telecoms industry transactions worth in excess of US$4.5 billion
- Acting for an oil and gas company and its high profile Middle Eastern shareholders in defending various claims (in England, Mauritius and South Africa) arising out of rights issues. The proceedings involved interlocutory applications in all three jurisdictions, including applications for a worldwide freezing injunction for US$33 million and search and seizure orders.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern petroleum company in a claim against a former employee and sham company for misappropriation of £5 million in a property related fraud. We obtained a worldwide freezing order and recovered significant sums.
- Acting for an Iraqi company in ICC arbitration proceedings against Kuwait, Bahraini and Cayman counterparties on shareholder disputes concerning telecoms companies in excess of US$2.5 billion.
- Representing a FTSE-listed plc to successfully negotiate the restructuring of trade finance arrangements between its group companies and a leading UAE bank, in the context of allegations of fraud and the misuse of such funds for non-Sharia compliant investments and the threat of worldwide freezing orders. We also advised the client in the context of related ongoing criminal proceedings in Dubai and Bahrain.
- Advising a listed receivables financing business on insolvency issues arising from the apparent misapplication of funds by an overseas subsidiary, including advice on Sharia compliant financing structure.
- Representing a banking client on a $100m bilateral term loan, working capital, letter of credit and guarantee issuance facility to a group of agribusinesses based in Egypt and Saudi Arabia.