Fieldfisher is renowned for the high standards of its IP practice. Our expertise covers every field of IP law: patents, trademarks, copyright, data protection, domain names, brand management, and trade secrets, etc.
Fieldfisher China’s IP lawyers have backgrounds in engineering and technology and are able to deal with complex IP cases which pertain to: machinery, chemicals, software, telecommunications technology, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices. Our practice covers all patent related issues, including patent prosecution, patent portfolio, patent asset management, and patent litigation. If you are considering investing in another business, entering into a joint venture, a technology transfer agreement or purchasing another business' patent assets, we can evaluate patent portfolios as part of a due diligence exercise, advise on and draft contractual terms, and provide the support you need to navigate competition, tax, transfer pricing, and regulatory issues. Fieldfisher China’s IP team maintain a close relationship with China’s IP relevant regulatory bodies and this allows us to provide our clients a superior patent service.
Alongside our patent practice, we also have a skilled trademark team experienced in administrative cases involving the granting and confirmation of trademark rights as well as civil trademark litigation. The trademark team is specialized in providing trademark management and brand strategies for international enterprises and assisting them in all kinds of disputes. We counsel our clients on all trademark issues including monitoring, application, opposition, invalidation, cancellation, renewal, assignment, license, enforcement and dispute solutions, etc. In addition, we assist clients with designing brand development strategies. As part of Fieldfisher’s global network, we are able to assist our domestic clients with trademark file management, protection, and dispute solutions around the globe.
- Representing a local dye chemical company who is going public in patent infringement cases filed with Beijing IP court by a US company who claimed 25 million Euro for compensation, successfully invalidated one patent totally and another patent partially at issue before PRB.
- Representing a Chinese public listed company in patent infringement case filed with Shanghai IP court by its competitor. Both of two parties focus on the manufacturing and sale of currency counting/strapping integrated machine. Successfully weakening the counterparty’s claims by the prior art defence, prior-use defence, lawful source defence, so that the final damage was cut down to 10%.
- Advising a European generic drug company on FTO search for potential generic drug projects.
- Providing IP infringement analysis legal opinion for a Chinese company during their acquisition process.
- Advising Shanghai High People’s court on their IP portfolio and representing them for filing patent application and registering copyright.
- Advising several top five universities on their patent filing strategy.
- Handling a trademark infringement case for a famous German company with successful asset preservation and high amount of damage.
- Representing a German Company in a patent infringement case with successful evidence preservation
- Trade fair IP enforcement for European companies, including evidence preservation, filing complaint or mediation through IP office.
- Drafting and reviewing license and development agreements for European and US companies, including online game development, license of patent in pharmaceutical industry and trademark license in sports industry.
- Representing a multinational enterprise on its various trademark disputes in China, including helping them to obtain well-known mark recognization in China; successfully opposing a competitor’s mark which is the only successful case over its global disputes.
- Successfully representing many multinational fashion enterprises in trademark disputes against bad faith filings and marks filed the trade squatters, including those lasting for over ten years, using a shadow foreign company name; etc.
- Advising many fashion brands on its trade mark disputes and taking raid actions in China.
- Advising start-up companies regarding strategies on Chinatrademark filing and global trademark registrations.
- Handling a number of Customs IP protection cases for foreign companies, including applying for the general gurantee and attending the destruction of detained products.