We advise our clients on all legal aspects relating to IT, e-commerce and outsourcing. We draft and negotiate complex IT service agreements and have assisted numerous clients with webshop compliance projects. In case of an IT dispute, we assist our clients with finding amicable arrangements or, where necessary, we will resort to litigation.
We further advise our clients in all privacy and data protection related issues that are driven either by technology (Big data, Internet of things, cloud computing, social networking, tracking technologies), international data transfers (Binding Corporate Rules, EU model clauses, intra-group data transfer agreements), people (employee and customer privacy rights) and laws (e.g., compliance with local laws, DPA notifications, employee monitoring). We also assist companies in managing data security, such as conducting privacy impact assessments for new products and services, implementing a data security breach response plan, and mitigating risk by drafting clear data security terms in customer agreements.
The strength of our team lies in its ability to assist multinational organizations that either have a presence or are expanding in Europe, both with their global privacy compliance projects and local data protection advice. Our clients appreciate us for our practical and pragmatic advice and our ability to assist them with their global compliance strategies.
Our location in Brussels put us in a strategic position, at the heart of the European decision-making. Thanks to our communication with the European regulators and institutions, we are able to provide our clients with useful insight into upcoming legislative reforms in the field of technology, privacy and data security.
Our clients vary from start-ups to the largest global players and are active in various sectors, including technology, media and communications, financial institutions, retail, life science and healthcare, energy and natural resources, public transportation, and online travel and booking.
Notable deals / highlights
- Assisted a large outsourcing and consultancy group on a daily basis with negotiations for complex IT and BPO contracts, including assisting with the implementation of required data transfer agreements.
- Assisted a joint venture between the Belgian public transport operators with the implementation of an interoperable RFID ticketing system, advising on the data protection implications and structuring the roles and responsibilities of the different actors involved
- Advised an international organization from the resources industry on the implementation of a whistleblowing hotline in the Benelux; advised on the data protection implications in the Benelux of the migration of its IT systems to Google's cloud based Google Apps Enterprise; and advised on data protection implications in relation to the creation of a competition contact database.
- Advised an international packaging company to implement a global privacy compliance program, including drafting and reviewing employee, customer and web privacy policies, and advising on its data security breach strategy.
- Assisted an international organization in the automotive sector with its pan-European notifications for HR and customer data processing activities, and advised on the employee privacy implications of offering video surveillance services integrated in company car fleets to its customers.
- Assisted an international organization specialized in the recycling of mobile devices to implement a global privacy compliance program, including drafting and reviewing employee, customer and web privacy policies, reviewing service provider agreements and advising on its data security breach strategy.