Environmental liability affects all business sectors and all business sizes and for many has become a central risk management issue. Changes in the global political landscape, changing requirements of regulatory regimes, the growth of corporate environmental accountability and responsibility plus the immediacy of public social media interaction all mean that environmental issues can have a substantial impact on company reputation.
Organisations and their leading individuals therefore need focused, relevant advice to ensure operational or project compliance; proactively promote market-leading environmental credentials; influence the development of industry best practices; and, importantly, manage any incidents (including unsubstantiated issues) with potential for civil and/or criminal liability.
Our Core Environmental Services include:
- Environmental permits, operational compliance, Environmental Impact Assessments
- Remediation and decommission projects, redevelopment of contaminated land,
- Energy and infrastructure projects (including. Major Project Planning and renewables)
- Transactional due diligence and liability allocation
- Enforcement actions and third party claims
- Product stewardship and health and safety, Sustainability (including health and wellbeing of buildings)
- Waste management, extended producer responsibility, end of waste,
- Water management
- Incident response management
- Legislation and policy interpretation
Our team of expert environmental lawyers advises national and multinational companies, including industrial operators, property developers, urban regenerators, investors, Government departments and agencies, local planning authorities, statutory undertakers and utilities on the environmental aspects of a broad range of projects.
Navigating the regulatory landscape will look different for each of our clients. Whether your project involves mixed-use (re)development, regeneration, infrastructure, natural resources or land assembly we will tailor our approach to you by gaining an in-depth understanding of your objectives and the wider commercial and/or regulatory contexts within which your business operates.
Notable deals and highlights
- Successfully representing a corporate objector to a £400m energy from waste plant objecting on product safety grounds.
- Advising a large petroleum company on liabilities associated with abandoned pipeline apparatus.
- Advising the owner of a former refinery site on the disposal of the asset for major regeneration, including advice on the environmental aspects of the disposal.
- Advising a chemical company on the disposal of a number of former production facilities, including the management and transfer of environmental risk.
- Advising a large industrial manufacturer on the application for, and amendment of, various environmental permits; and assessing environmental liabilities associated with contamination from previous operations.
- Representing an oil and gas company on the first prosecution bought by the Environment Agency for "potential" rather than "actual" damage.