We live in an increasingly regulated world, with rules and legislation both restricting and protecting the practices of organisations and individuals. Navigating the red tape without expert advice can be both confusing and costly.
We are specialists in the field of public and regulatory law. Whether you are a commercial organisation working within a regulated market or a public body, we understand the regulatory challenges you face and the help you are likely to need to overcome or withstand them.
Regardless of the size or nature of your organisation, we can meet all of your regulatory needs. We regularly assist clients on policy, powers, acting lawfully, governance and statutory interpretation; bringing and defending legal challenges, including judicial reviews; and conducting, or assisting with, public inquiries, inquests and investigations.
Our work also includes supporting regulatory bodies in bringing prosecutions; preparing and presenting regulatory cases; providing training to Fitness to Practise panellists and regulatory committees on a variety of topics including decision reasoning, procedure, case law and avoiding judicial reviews; and drafting rules and regulations.
In Legal 500 UK 2014 we have been top ranked in Administrative and Public Law and have been described as ‘able to deliver pragmatic advice to a difficult client in a very professional way', and have ‘outstanding industry knowledge'. We are also praised for our ‘tailored service' and ability to ‘take on the bigger firms at a fraction of the cost'.
Notable deals / highlights
- Instructed to assist with some of the UK's most high profile public inquiries and inquests, including those relating to the death of Diana, Princess of Wales and Mr Dodi Al Fayed; the 7/7 London bombings; acting as the solicitors to the inquests into the Hillsborough stadium disaster.
- Successfully defended the Gambling Commission in a judicial review challenge brought by Camelot UK Lotteries.
- Acted for the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors in its successful judicial review challenge to the government’s introduction of energy performance certificates into Home Information Packs.
- Acted for 10 out of the 11 healthcare regulators in the UK, including the General Medical Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Perform audits of regulators' work and processes and provide tailored feedback and training to enable them to improve efficiency.