Whether you are a commercial organisation working in a regulated market or a public body, we understand the regulatory frameworks under which you operate. We were often involved in drafting them.
Our strength lies in our knowledge of the sectors in which you operate, and our understanding of the constraints faced by regulators and regulated bodies. The advice we give always takes into account such constraints, including the requirements for transparency of process, the need to engage with stakeholders and awareness that our clients are often subject to public scrutiny.
Whilst public and private organisations may have different drivers and motivations, we advise both and offer tailored and practical advice that takes account of your strategic objectives.
Our services include drafting rules, codes of conduct, guidance documents, legislation and supplemental Royal Charters for regulatory bodies and public law challenges. We advise bodies on statutory interpretation, particularly with respect to limitations on the actions of public bodies.
We work with professional regulators to develop their regulatory systems for implementation in other jurisdictions and can advise commercial clients on the statutory limitations imposed by different regulated markets. We also advise clients on issues relating to freedom of information, data protection and human rights.
It is our understanding of governing policy and legislation in sectors including life sciences and healthcare; technology, media and telecommunications; transport; sport and the public sector that makes us perfectly placed to advise you on public law and policy.
We are experts in public law (including human rights) and are proud to be highly ranked in this field in the leading legal directories, Chambers UK and The Legal 500.
Notable deals / highlights
- Undertaken complex advisory work for a number of clients relating to the introduction of police and crime commissioners.
- Advised private companies providing NHS services under contract throughout the UK on issues arising from investigations by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.
- Advised Go North East, a company that provides bus services in the North East, on public law aspects of a proposal by the Passenger Transport Executive for Tyneside to introduce a Quality Contracts Scheme.
- Act as external legal advisers to police forces in the UK in respect of criminal prosecutions for gross negligence manslaughter.
- Assisted an arm's length body of the Department of Health with its Red Tape Challenge and with advice on its options for governance. For another arm's length body we have reviewed and re-written standing orders and restructured their committees.
- Advised the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority on the discharge of the statutory function of its Licensing Committee, providing an in-depth review of the structure, administration and function of the committee.
- Supporting the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority in relation to judicial reviews and an appeal.