Regulators, officials and other public bodies need to make decisions that are reasonable, proportionate and lawful to ensure they withstand challenge. Whether you are a public body facing a legal challenge or the organisation bringing it, our team can help you.
For regulatory bodies and government departments, we advise on statutory interpretation and how to make decisions that are fair, proportionate and procedurally correct. First and foremost we want our clients to avoid unnecessary legal challenge and so provide advice and training to decision-makers about how to make regulatory-compliant, robust and reasoned decisions.
Where challenge is unavoidable, we defend judicial reviews and statutory appeals in a variety of forums including tribunals and the Administrative Court.
For private sector organisations, we bring the wealth of our experience in acting for the public sector to advise on the strength of the challenge and the best possible strategy for resolution. Where proceedings need to be lodged, we have the expertise to guide you through the complex process that ensues and act in your commercial interests.
We can advise on statutory interpretation, fairness, human rights, powers and duties and often act as advocates in public sector litigation.
We are consistently highly ranked in the leading legal directories for administrative and public law, reflecting our excellent reputation for bringing and defending judicial reviews.
Notable deals / highlights
- Supporting the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority in relation to judicial reviews and an appeal.
- Successfully defended the Gambling Commission in a judicial review challenge brought by Camelot UK Lotteries.
- Assisted a prominent healthcare regulator with its response to public inquiries and investigations, including The Shipman Inquiry and the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry.
- Instructed by Asda to bring a statutory appeal in the First Tier Tribunal.
- We acted for the General Medical Council defending judicial reviews of decisions made by its Fitness to Practise Panel.
- Represented the General Social Care Council in judicial review proceedings and appeals to the Care Standards Tribunal and First Tier Tribunal.
- Acted for the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors in its successful judicial review challenge to the government’s introduction of energy performance certificates into Home Information Packs.
- Supported a number of public authorities by drafting responses to pre-action protocol letters that have resulted in resolution of the issues and avoidance of claims.