Whether your business is a start-up, growing or mature, you might benefit from using a franchise model. Franchising is a tried and tested technique that can help you grow your business much faster than following a traditional corporate expansion programme. Alternatively, franchising provides a means of re-engineering your existing business model to unlock dormant potential.
Whatever your needs, we offer a genuine one stop shop of franchise specialists, who are able to help you prepare to franchise your business and ensure that the risks in your particular business model are identified, reduced and managed through a combination of training, legal contracts and commercial best practice. We are uniquely positioned to help you establish the right system, manage the roll out and deal with disputes, investments and exits.
We are specialists in international expansion, and will work with you to choose a structure that works for your system and use our global platform to ensure that your deals are compliant with local customs and regulations. You will benefit from our network of contacts, prior knowledge of comparable deals, structures and legal pitfalls to avoid in certain jurisdiction.
Franchising is ultimately a relationships business, and the diagram below highlights the some of key relationships which need to be managed effectively in a successful franchise system.
We understand that everyone's perception of franchising is different so we have developed a Franchising guide to help you better understand the issues.
Notable deals / highlights
- We acted for a multi-billion alternative investment firm based in the Middle East, on the acquisition of franchise development rights to open and operate in a global restaurant brand in Eastern Europe. The deal illustrates the increasing interest that asset management firms are taking in franchising as an alternative investment to traditional investment vehicles.
- We advise a world famous toy retailer, helping it to establish its international strategy 10 years ago and we have since assisted on its expansion into over 18 countries. We work closely with the brand's general counsel and head of international business development to negotiate new deals, ensure local law compliance and manage the existing network.
- We advised an emerging casual dining brand on structuring, planning and implementing its international franchise roll-out. In the space of 2 years, we have completed strategically significant deals in Scandinavia, UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and Thailand, putting it on track to become a global brand. We advised also on establishing an international supply chain to support the core business and franchise network.
- We advise an iconic US retail brand on the development of its omni-channel business, including technology licensing, the regulation of brand communications through social media and other forms of marketing, EU competition law and the interplay with e-commerce and the evolution of its large network of European franchisees.
- We have advised over 50 individual franchisees of a national chain of opticians on contractual issues flowing from the franchisor's decision to purchase a competing business (which included a sizeable estate of franchisee operated outlets) and merge the purchased business into its existing network. We have negotiated directly with the franchisor on behalf of a group of franchisees on various, potentially litigious, issues and have also advised on a number on franchise sales and exits as resolutions to territorial overlaps.