We provide a range of employment law. One of these is defending unfair and wrongful dismissal claims which are brought in the Employment Tribunal. Occasionally in exceptional circumstances we act for claimants. Even these claims are often complex. The amount of time it takes to bring such a claim to a resolution will depend on the issues involved, the number or witnesses and the amount of documentation.
Our services in acting on such cases may include:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing the papers
- Advising you on the merits and the likely outcome
- Entering into pre claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Preparing a response to a claim
- Reviewing and advising on a claim or response from another party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a Schedule of Loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a preliminary hearing
- Exchanging documents with other parties and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundles of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other parties' witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at the final hearing, including Instructions to Counsel.
Not all the stages outlined above will be required on any particular matter.
The overall cost will depend on which of these services we are instructed to do and the overall complexity of the matter and the particular details of the case. For example, preparing a defence may cost anywhere between £10,000 and £50,000.
Taking advantage of the full range of services including taking your instructions through to the preparation and attendance at a final hearing may cost between £20,000 and £150,000.
In addition, you may have to pay additional expenses, known as disbursements. These might include Counsel's fees and Court fees for any applications.
The range of prices featured above is an indication of potential price and are not actual prices. We will discuss costs with you on an individual basis and provide you with an estimate once we have further information.
VAT at 20% would be added to these charges.
Our Employment Team provides its services through three offices in the UK – London, Birmingham and Manchester. There are 5 partners and 15 fee earners. The Team is supported by Immigration and Pension fee earners.