We are one of the leading law firms advising on a range of venture capital, private equity and corporate venturing transactions.
We advise on all aspects throughout the funding lifecycle of a company, from early-stage investments (including EIS and VCT structures), subsequent funding rounds, bridge financing, venture debt and equity reorganisation, as well as exits via trade sales, management buyouts, asset dispositions or IPOs. Our IPO practice is one of the leaders in the London market.
Our venture capital and private equity group also advises numerous international and domestic corporates on strategic investments.
We are active in the private equity market, whether advising the equity investors, management, target, or debt providers. Our practice covers not only domestic buyouts and buy-ins but also has considerable expertise advising on international transactions.
The team is supported by other specialist groups within the firm. Many of our IP and regulatory partners have spent time in-house at technology or media companies, or with regulatory bodies, bringing a useful insight into the underlying due diligence of IP-rich or regulated companies.
Notable deals / highlights
- Advised management and newco on the management buyout of carehome operator Signature Senior Lifestyle from Cabot Square Capital, financed by several institutional funds led by Health Care REIT
- Advised management on the secondary buyout of Independent Clinical Services, one of the UK's leading healthcare staffing providers, by TowerBrook Capital from The Blackstone Group
- Acted for management of Teaching Personnel, the UK's largest teacher recruitment agency, on a £45m MBO backed by Graphite Capital.
- Advised Investec Growth & Acquisition Finance on the leveraged funding of the ASK4 management buyout backed by Darwen Private Equity, and the refinancing by Metric Capital of media talent agency James Grant Group
- Acted for selling shareholders and management on the MBO of business insurance provider Xbridge Limited, trading as Simply Business, backed by AnaCap Financial Partners
- Advised Alpha Private Equity on its purchase of a minority stake in BR Gaming, a specialist in multi-jurisdictional lotteries
- Acted for Cenvenio Procurement on an equity investment by Lloyds Development Capital
- Helped Polytherics raise £13.5m by way of a venture capital fundraising to back the merger with Antitope and to provide working capital for the enlarged group. Imperial Innovations led the investment and brought in new investor Invesco Perpetual, with further funds provided by Mercia Fund Management and Advantage Enterprise & Innovation Fund.
- Advised recyclable plastics company 2K Manufacturing, a Guardian CleanTech100 company, on a £12m venture capital investment by Foresight Group VCT funds.
- Represented Clinithink, a UK medical software company, closing a venture capital fundraising of £5m over several tranches, from various investors including Finance Wales. The lead investor was New York-based Vanguard Atlantic.
- Advised Oxford based lifesciences company on a $30m equity investment led by Schroder Ventures and Clarus.