My sub-specialisms include advising on insolvency and fraud-related issues in the real estate sector and seeking and obtaining pre-emptive injunctive relief to protect land and other commercial interests.
I frequently provide strategic support on large and complex property transactions, with a view to avoiding and pre-empting disputes.
I am ranked as a leading individual in my practice areas; in the field of property litigation Legal 500 describes me as 'incredibly bright, extremely likeable and result-oriented', 'very exceptional', 'a star in this field', and 'not afraid to think about problems differently'.
In the field of professional negligence, Legal 500 says that I am 'noted for [my] experience in real estate-related professional negligence cases', that I have 'in-depth expertise in property-related negligence work', that my 'factual and legal analysis is always spot on' and that I am 'a man you want on your side'.
Recent highlights include:
- Acting for a developer in the High Court on a £750 million breach of confidence claim relating to a mixed-use central London development – one of the largest property cases (by value) in UK history;
- Acting for a number of energy clients in obtaining pre-emptive injunctions protecting land interests, supply chains and other commercial interests;
- Acting for developers in obtaining pre-emptive injunctions against the 'world at large', protecting urban regeneration development sites from acts of trespass;
- Acting for victims of property fraud (in claims in negligence and breach of trust against firms of solicitors and agents);
- Acting in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and expert determination proceedings in a dispute concerning the sale of Heathrow's Terminal 5 site to BAA;
- Acting in the High Court and the Court of Appeal in judicial review proceedings relating to the compulsory acquisition and development of a site on the Canary Wharf estate;
- Acting for the administrators of a large chain of DIY stores in respect of a property portfolio comprising over 150 leasehold properties;
- Acting for developers on their acquisitions and developments of a number of central London sites (recently acting on Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 possession proceedings relating to development sites with a combined gross development value in excess of £3 billion);
- Acting in the High Court and arbitration proceedings for a landlord in a multi-million-pound claim relating to the re-letting of the 170,000 square foot London headquarters of a FTSE 100 UK broadcasting company;
- Acting for a landlord in a service charge dispute relating to a complex mixed-use development scheme comprising over 700 residential units and 40 commercial premises;
- Acting in proceedings against a large firm of solicitors in respect of a substantial damages claim arising under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1988.
I frequently lecture, write for legal journals and provide commentary in the legal and national press on contentious property and energy sector related disputes. A number of my cases have appeared in the legal and national print and broadcast media.