I advise companies and individuals in relation to financial crime matters including fraud, bribery and corruption and money laundering.
I have particular expertise in representing companies and individuals investigated by UK and overseas enforcement agencies including the Serious Fraud Office, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Financial Conduct Authority, the U.S. Department of Justice, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, the National Crime Agency and the Information Commissioner's Office. My cases are often complex and multi-jurisdictional.
I conduct internal investigations on behalf of corporates who suspect criminal wrongdoing, advise companies and individuals who wish to bring a private prosecution and represent clients in cross-border matters including UK and overseas production orders, MLA requests and extradition.
I am experienced in providing preventative financial crime advice, including implementing compliance programmes, drafting policies and procedures and providing training.
I have written many articles and I frequently speak at conferences for a range of corporate crime matters. I have a particular interest in new technology its implications on financial crime and money laundering.
I give talks at various conferences worldwide on a range of AML issues including speaking at the International Anti-Money Laundering Conference for the Banking Association for Central and Eastern Europe, and I have had various articles published.
- I conducted an international internal investigation into Europe's leading specialist for payment processing and issuing services in relation to allegations of serious offences of forgery and/or falsification of accounts in several subsidiaries throughout Asia.
- I was a senior member of the team which represented the only defendant to be acquitted after the first 4 month trial in the SFO investigation concerning the manipulation of the EURIBOR. Our client had been under criminal investigation in the UK since 2015 and this case involved vast amounts of disclosure, complex legal arguments and applications which included obtaining a subpoena in the US district court. We were assisted by lawyers in both Germany and the US.
- I conducted an investigation into a company unlawfully concerned in a Collective Investments Scheme. This involved self-reporting to the FCA, liaising with the FCA in the resulting investigation, liaising with the NCA and submitting several SARs to request defences under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA). The FCA eventually took no action against our client and we were able to protect our clients business so they could continue to operate with minimal disruption.
- I represented a trader investigated by the FCA and the DOJ concerning allegations of manipulating the FOREX rates. This included representing our client at numerous interviews in the UK with the banks legal representatives, and the UK and US authorities. Eventually no further action was taken against our client. We worked closely with US lawyers in this matter.
- I represented a company director investigated by the SFO in an international investigation into a suspected multi-million pound fraud, crossing several jurisdictions including the Caribbean, UAE and Russia.
- I represented a company director investigated by a postal service concerning an allegation of a multi-million pound fraud.