Why choose our Dispute Resolution lawyers?Our experienced team of Russian and English speaking litigators has a wealth of collective expertise advising on disputes in a wide variety of cases. This includes High Court litigation, commercial arbitration, investment treaty disputes and relief from sanctions across a range of business sectors and countries.
At the core of our work is both litigation and arbitration, meaning clients can rely on our specialist advice for a greater range of disputes. We advise clients in disputes arising out of business sales and regularly deal with boardroom and shareholder conflicts.
We frequently act for and against suppliers, distributors and retailers in international trade disputes and handle major disputes in construction, transport, energy and telecoms. We also represent our clients in asset and tax investigations, asset tracing, asset freezing and seizure.
We have represented clients in a large number of commercial and investment treaty arbitrations and have extensive experience of handling proceedings under LCIA, ICC, ICSID, SCC and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
We have a vastly experienced, dynamic and growing team with particular expertise working on the CIS and Eastern Europe related cases.
We specialise in:
- Corporate disputes
- Commercial fraud
- Corporate crime
- Defamation and privacy
- Energy and natural resources disputes
- Financial and banking disputes
- International commercial and investment treaty arbitration
- International trade disputes
- Projects/construction disputes
- Restructuring and insolvency litigation
- Contentious and non-contentious international sanctions (EU, US & UN)
Banking and Financial Services
- We represented Igor Kolomoisky in a US$1.9bn claim by PrivatBank seeking compensation for the alleged misapplication of the bank's assets.
- We represented a CIS based client in an investigation by tax authorities relating to an offshore investment fund. Approximate value US$100m.
- We acted for a finance company in defending a claim by a western bank in an LCIA arbitration in respect of a credit contingent swap to hedge interest and exchange rate rise on a UK listed EMTN note proposal. Approximate claim value US$46m, the claim was settled for zero.
- We represented CIS clients in obtaining twelve overseas arbitration awards, and then enforcing those awards under the New York Convention against bank accounts/assets in various countries, including the appointment of English liquidators and BVI Receivers.
Oil and Gas
- We successfully represented two defendants in a high profile claim relating to the alleged rigging (and collusion with the Russian state) by five Western businessmen of an auction of Yukos assets valued at approximately USD 1bn in 2007. After a seven-week trial all claims against Fieldfisher's clients with a total value of approx. £40m were emphatically dismissed by the English Commercial Court. The case was listed as a UK "Top 20" case for 2019 by The Lawyer magazine.
- We represented claimant investors in a multibillion Energy Charter Treaty claim under SCC Rules with a Stockholm seat, plus a connected LCIA London seat arbitration, relating to investments made in the key natural resources company of the host State.
- We represented one of four defendants to a claim brought by Russian state-owned oil giant PJSC Tatneft for over US$368m of oil payments.
- We represented a large oil and gas company and related individuals in a series of litigation (High Court) and arbitration (LCIA) proceedings against a top Russian bank in relation to the interpretation of loan agreements and related security documentation including personal guarantees, pledges and indemnities. Total value of claims US$500m and counterclaims in excess of US$4bn.
- We represented a major CIS oil and gas company in complex, multi-party ICC arbitration proceedings concerning an oil pipeline consortium and oil shipped through the pipeline.
- We advised a CIS based businessman in claims arising in relation to the interpretation and performance of an investment agreement. Approximate value US$750m.
Shipping and Aviation
- We represented a claimant investor in a Bilateral Investment Treaty claim under ICSID Rules relating to an investment made in a household name transport business in the host State.
- We represented a shareholder of a major CIS airline in LCIA arbitrations connected with disputes relating to the acquisition of shares in the airline. Approximate value US$150m.
- We represented a well-known CIS transport company in litigation in London and Israel, and arbitration in London, in connection with the termination of a supply agreement. Approximate value US$100m.
- We acted for the buyers of a fleet of oil tankers in a double London arbitration against the sellers relating to cancellation of the contracts and payment of the purchase price. Approximate value US$90m.
Real Estate and Construction
- We represented a well-known CIS football club in an ICC arbitration against a German counterparty in disputes arising from the construction of the club's new stadium.
- We acted for claimant investors in four interlinked Bilateral Investment Treaty claims under UNCITRAL Rules, with The Hague as a seat, relating to real estate investments made in the host State.
- We acted for a CIS based client in a construction litigation dispute involving a private residency construction.
Manufacturing, Metals, Minerals and Commodities
- We acted for a group of investment companies and their directors in an LCIA arbitration following non-performance of a sale and purchase contract relating to a CIS based energy business. Approximate value US$1bn.
- We acted for a CIS-based business in an LCIA arbitration concerning the sale and purchase of shares in a Russian group of companies in the energy and infrastructure sector. Approximate value US$50m.
- We represented a minority investor in a well-known Russian minerals exploration and production company in relation to worldwide litigation regarding share dilution.