Mr G did not know where he had been exposed to asbestos when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in April 2012. Caroline Pinfold visited him in hospital and whilst helping him to complete the applications for government benefits it emerged that he had been exposed to asbestos when working for a joinery company that made fire doors between 1964 and 1966. He had not cut any asbestos materials himself but had been in the same area as other people doing this and the dust had been widespread. No one had been provided with any sort of protection from the asbestos dust at the factory. The company had been dissolved but Caroline Pinfold traced the relevant insurers.
It was not possible to complete the claim during Mr G's lifetime but it was successfully completed on behalf of his widow. The money will provide her with financial security for the future although nothing will compensate her for the loss of her husband of over 50 years. The compensation also included £7,506 on behalf of the local hospice who provided care to Mr G in respect of his mesothelioma.
Sign up to our email digest