Whilst working for the Defendants, our client was exposed to dust produced by carpenters sawing panels used for pipe work, electrical ducting and pipes. In addition, he had to cut asbestos rope. The Council didn't supply masks, warn that asbestos was dangerous, take any precautions, or supply any working clothes.
Towards the end of 2006, the client experienced breathing problems and was admitted to the Basildon University hospital in November 2006 with a large left sided pleural effusion. A bronchoscopy was peformed there. In January 2007 he underwent a left thoracotomy and decortication at London Chest Hospital. As a result of the biopsy, he was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma.
The Defendants' insurers conceded that on the balance of probability, our client was exposed to asbestos during the period he was employed by them, which increased the risk of him contracting mesothelioma. Rodney Nelson-Jones settled his case for £310,000 compensation within 6 months of his having contacted us. In addition, the Defendants agreed to pay his legal fees.
Sign up to our email digest