I advise public and regulatory bodies, private entities and trade associations, with a particular focus on public procurement, and competition law. I also advise on investigations and enforcement, complaints and discipline, registration, freedom of information law and legislative drafting.
In the area of public procurement, I have acted both for contracting authorities and private entities in procurement regarding several industry sectors (including healthcare, waste, construction, technology and energy). My experience includes:
- Advising public bodies on the conduct of competitions for the award of public contracts;
- Advising on multiple discrete issues such as the modification of contracts during their term; preliminary market consultations; and procurement in cases of extreme urgency; and
- Challenging public procurement decisions on behalf of aggrieved bidders (including in High Court litigation) and defending such challenges on behalf of public bodies.
In EU and Irish competition and regulatory law, my experience includes advising on:
- Merger control – notifying several transactions to Ireland's Competition and Consumer Protection Commission ("CCPC") and the European Commission; conducting multi-jurisdictional merger control analyses; and advising on several in-depth reviews (including one of the longest-ever merger control investigations by the CCPC);
- Behavioural competition law – advising on competition law issues such as horizontal arrangements, vertical agreements and abuse of dominance, including on private damages actions and investigations by the CCPC;
- State aid – advising on the general application of EU State aid law and on the specific application of sector-specific guidelines; my experience also includes State aid litigation before the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg;
- Sectoral regulation – advising on the regulation of several industries including telecoms, fisheries and lotteries;
- Trade law – expertise in EU/Irish export control laws (in particular on the EU Dual-Use Regulation) and on the Irish implementation of EU restrictive measures/sanctions; and
- EU/Irish anti-money laundering/counter-terrorist financing rules.
I hold a Diploma in EU Competition Law from King's College London.