Who We Are
Planning Out is a forum run by and for LGBT+ professionals in the town planning sector to develop connections, networks and expertise across the industry. We welcome professionals who work in or with the planning industry such as town planners, surveyors and land professionals, transport planners, urban designers, planning lawyers and PR/communications consultants.
We aim to:
- support the personal development of individual members by enabling greater self-confidence and encouraging greater acceptance of LGBT+ professionals through the planning community
- provide a forum where planning professionals can share their knowledge of town planning and facilitate their continued professional development
- provide a resource for the built environment sector and play an active role in ensuring that LGBT+ spaces and places continue to form an important part of the social framework of our communities
- enhance the profile of town planning as a sector that is inclusive, diverse and rewarding, and widen the pool of talent from which future planners will emerge
Fieldfisher is proud to support Planning Out's Toolkit - a collection of guidance, best practice and case studies for navigating the planning system to support the protection and promotion of LGBT+ spaces and places.
We welcome people across all levels of seniority, whether in the public, private, academic or voluntary sectors. Members need not identify as LGBT - we also welcome allies who are supportive of greater acceptance in the workplace.
We also believe it is important that our network has a healthy balance of members that is reflective of the wider LGBT community in terms of gender, bisexuality, transgenderism and ethnicity.
If you would like to join Planning Out or have any queries about membership please contact us.
We hold at least four professional networking events every year. These events will usually take the form of evening drinks featuring a diverse range of high-profile speakers from across the industry, who will deliver talks on planning-related matters.
We also aim to:
- conduct regular breakfast/lunchtime seminars on topical issues in the planning industry, where members can develop their knowledge of planning matters and take advantage of the enormous pool of knowledge amongst the membership in a relaxed environment.
- hold informal and social events on an ad hoc basis, such as group outings to Pride and other general LGBT events.
For details and booking information on upcoming events, please see our Eventbrite page.
Planning Out is an events-based forum, and we believe that hosting an event can bring many benefits to our members and their organisations. If you would like to host an event please contact us.
For further information or if you would like to host an event, you can contact Co-Chair Yohanna Weber.