The second-best job to being a sportsman is being involved in the industry. We go to games, had sporting dreams cruelly shattered, know the latest gossip and most importantly understand the legal issues affecting the sports industry. We are lawyers but we know the most important result is ultimately the one on the pitch.
We help clients in the sports sector to find solutions to their media related needs. We work with organisations, clubs, owners, players and other stakeholders on commercial, regulatory, competition, technology, IP, trade mark, retail, broadcasting, gaming, social media and internet related matters.
We have outstanding knowledge of the sports industry both locally and on a national and international scale. We have a Sports Team with in-depth expertise of the media space, from rights acquisitions and online competitions to social media and data protection. We provide a holistic approach to guide clients through the maze of administrative, commercial, regulatory and procedural hurdles.
We advise sports clients and interested parties on a raft of transactional and contentious national, European and international issues. As the sanctions for falling foul of national and EU law can carry weighty penalties, we are able to offer pre-emptive, practical solutions in order to mitigate risk whilst maximising your commercial gain.
Notable deals / highlights
- We advised The Rangers Football Club Limited and its new holding company Rangers International Football Club plc on its placing, offer to the public and admission to trading on AIM with a market capitalisation of £45 million.
- We advised Telenet, a leading provider of broadband cable services on its successful bid to acquire the Premier League broadcasting rights in Belgium.
- We advise Football Aid and its parent company Field of Dreams on a full raft of legal requirements from debt claims, to technology contracts, licensing arrangements, employment terms and conditions as well as auditing their constitution and general commercial affairs.
- We advised on the acquisition of a sports TV production company, advised on their sponsorship agreements and the licences from the sports governing body.
- We advised a private group on arrangements for prize promotions, a free prize draw and competitions involving the selection of a world football eleven to attract brand awareness for a major football event and advised on stadium hire and player and club contracts.