Intellectual property is an important asset for any business but particularly so in the media sector. IP includes intangible assets such as copyright, trade marks, confidential information and database rights, and to maximise its value, businesses need to take steps to protect, enforce and uphold their IP rights.
We are experienced in all forms of dispute resolution, from mediation to expert determination and, where necessary, litigation. We have extensive experience of advising on a whole range of IP disputes, ranging from the unauthorised use of copyright works online to enforcing royalty provisions and use restrictions in licence agreements. We aim to resolve disputes quickly and inexpensively, and regularly use innovative fee structures and avenues of alternative dispute resolution.
We advise and educate clients on strategies to avoid disputes escalating where possible and, where it is in the interests of clients, seek to resolve disputes as quickly and inexpensively as possible by the most appropriate means, including, where appropriate, alternative dispute resolution methods. However, when necessary, we have the experience and ability to conduct the most complex cases and have an excellent track record.
We have represented clients in a diverse range of disputes before all the UK and EU tribunals, and have conducted cases before the Copyright Tribunal, the High Court in London, the Court of Appeal and the European Court of Justice. We also manage IP disputes in many other jurisdictions around the world on behalf of our clients.
Notable deals / highlights
- Acted for Elvis Presley Enterprises in a trade mark infringement and passing off dispute in respect of unauthorised CDs.
- Undertook a worldwide anti-counterfeiting programme on behalf of a high profile celebrity couple.
- Advised an Indian music licensing company in respect of Copyright Tribunal and ECJ cases on the issue of reasonable licence fees payable by FM radio stations.
- Acted for Hearst Corporation in winning ground-breaking litigation in relation to merchansiding rights in the character "Betty Boop".
- Advised a music publisher in respect of a copyright dispute with a well-known UK film production company.
- Acted for a well-known independent television production company in respect of a copyright infringement dispute.