Today’s healthcare sector is undergoing rapid change, offering extensive opportunities for investment, growth and new services focussed on meeting patient needs within a finite level of resources. Exciting developments range from cutting edge mobile health technologies and new forms of integrated delivery - offering innovative health and social care solutions - to stem cell banking and pioneering personalised treatments. Thought leadership and guidance at national level has been boosted by the Five Year Forward View and the Vanguard Programme, with the new programmes for local devolution offering a stimulus for integrated and locally managed services and pooled budgets.
We can bring to you an unique understanding of the healthcare sector, having been immersed in the industry for more than 50 years. We have worked with eight of the nine healthcare professions regulators and four major entity regulators and act for more than 130 healthcare organisations in total. In 2014 alone, we acted on more than 750 separate matters. As a result, we can anticipate the challenges you are likely to face, and show you how to overcome them.
Our healthcare team advises healthcare investors, healthcare providers, healthcare regulators and other healthcare commissioners on the full range of their legal needs.
In collaboration with our healthcare experts at our consulting arm, Fieldfisher Consulting, we ensure that our public and private sector clients maximise their opportunities in the sector, with our extensive industry knowledge we accelerate the implementation of our clients strategies and change programmes, at reduced cost and risk.
Notable deals and highlights
- Advising Signature Senior Lifestyle, a developer and operator of premium quality care homes on its £50m+ management buy-out from its existing private equity owner, Cabot Square Capital, funded by Welltower and Revera Inc.
- Acting for Centene Corporation, a US listed healthcare company, on its first strategic UK investment in an independent sector primary care business delivering primary and community based care including operating GP surgeries. We successfully deployed our extensive health sector experience to guide Centene through its first UK business acquisition.
- Advising the General Medical Council on Fitness to Practise and supporting them to evolve for 21st century regulation of registered and licensed medical practitioners.
- Advising the management of Independent Clinical Services in relation to the secondary buy-out by TowerBrook Capital from Blackstone PE.
- Advising HCP, Inc., one of the leading US healthcare REITs, in relation to a £175m sale and lease back of a portfolio of 35 care homes with operators HC1 and Meridian Healthcare. The transaction, in which HCP took a "propco" roll was structured as a bundled lease arrangement and reflected the key features of a US "masterlease".