The worldwide community is fully committed to sustainable energy production, thanks to the fresh impetus given by the Paris Agreement. The risk and cost of carbon emissions is more evident than ever, and we are on the path to achieving the ambitious targets set to reduce emissions. Renewable energy has never been more critical with clients needing specialist lawyers who fully understand the key issues, risks and opportunities affecting the sector.
Fieldfisher has an experienced team of energy lawyers who have acted for a diverse range of renewable clients across Europe and internationally. We have worked on projects generating several thousand megawatts of electricity worldwide. We advise across all aspects of renewable energy including wind, solar, energy from waste, geothermal and clean tech projects as well as energy efficiency.
We can advise you on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Private equity investments
- Joint ventures including corporate and tax structuring, asset purchases, know-how supply arrangements, joint venture agreements and joint operating agreements
- Structuring and security arrangements for project financing including project and secured finance, non-recourse lending and credit support
- Financing arrangements including senior and junior debt, mezzanine, preferred equity and equity funding structures
- Regulatory compliance
- Competition law, merger control, public procurement, state aid and other regulatory issues
- Construction contracts
- Commercial contracts including development and offtake contracts and subcontracts, bio gas trading contracts and service/operating contracts, security and lease structures
- Framework delivery contracts
- Energy efficiency
- Dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution, ranging from contractual disputes to State intervention.
We advise a broad range of clients from the renewables market, including developers, operators, contractors, sponsors and lenders. We work with clients from across the Continent, on projects such as onshore wind farms in Germany, France and Finland, solar portfolios in Italy and Spain, and energy efficiency financing for Dutch, Belgian and German clients.
Our head of renewables, Daniel Marhewka, has been awarded "Deal Maker of the Year" in 2014 and the Client Choice Award for Energy & Natural Resources in 2015.
Notable deals / highlights
Advising KGAL on the acquisition of a Finnish wind farm from ABO Wind consisting of 8 wind turbines with a total capacity of 26.4 MW to be built in 2016.
Advising a group of institutional investors on the acquisition of BayWa's solar portfolio in Spain. The portfolio consisted of 36 MW of ground mounted and rooftop projects located on the Spanish mainland and on Majorca.
- Advising IKAV EE S.à r.l. on the acquisition of a solar portfolio from ENN in Italy.
Represented Honda on the development of two renewable projects (solar and biomass) at its manufacturing plant in Swindon.
Acted for a supplier and installer of solar panels on a number of contracts with local authorities for the installation of panels on local authority properties and housing stock.
Advised Good Energy Group, an AIM-quoted renewable electricity business, on its bond offer to raise up to £15m.
Advised Solaris Developments on a number of projects relating to the acquisition and development of solar powered plants, including advising on contracts for the design and construction of three major solar powered installations on Thames Water sites.
Advised CBD Energy, an ASX-listed company that designs, builds, constructs, owns and operates solar and wind farms in Australia, Thailand and the UK, on its bond offer to raise up to £7.5m.
Represented applicants Essent Belgium in proceedings before the Court of Justice related to the circulation of guarantees of origin and green energy certificate.