Jonathan Zimmern, Partner
Jonathan has been dealing with complex, high value medical negligence cases for over ten years, covering areas such as birth injury, delayed diagnosis, inquests and orthopaedic injury amongst other areas. He is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and is acting on behalf of the Trustees for the vCJD compensation scheme – which manages £67.5m for victims of variant Cruetzfeldt Jakob Disease and their families.
He often handles cases which are reported in regional and national press and regularly takes over cases that have been mishandled by other solicitors. He has particular expertise in dealing with complicated cases of clinical negligence which overlap with pre-existing personal injury claims.
Jonthan has dealt with a number of high profile cases including a claim for a 13 year old girl left quadriplegic after a routine spinal operation. The case was covered in the national press and by regional news broadcasters. Click the links below to find out more.
Jonathan, Comments live on BBC Radio 4's "Inside the Ethics Committee"
Some of Jonathan's recent cases include:
- £14 million for a 13 year old girl left quadriplegic after routine spinal operation
- 6 figure sum for negligent cosmetic surgery
- Unnecessary hysterectomy denies client the chance to have further children
- Recovering compensation for the family of a man following a failed catheter insertion
- Settlement for a client who suffered depression and permanent disability following negligent foot surgery
- Compensation for a client following a delay in diagnosing spinal fractures on two occasions
- £400,000 Recovered after diabetes misdiagnosis leads to ophthalmic injuries
- £170,000 for delay in diagnosis of skin cancer at Newham University Hospital NHS Trust
- £19,000 recovered for family for failed catheter insertion at Colchester General Hospital
- £95,000 recovered for June who has suffered for five years after negligent treatment
- Substantial settlement after medical negligence at A&E results in unnecessary hip replacement surgery
- £12,000 recovered for unnecessary surgery which resulted in pain and difficulty urinating
- £114,780 recovered after nursing staff failed to provide the correct care, allowing further injuries
- £1.5 million award for client who suffered brain damage because of a delay in diagnosis
- £850,000 recovered for client from North Devon Healthcare NHS Trust
- Substantial damages awarded against claim against Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust following negligent knee surgery
- Client receives £140,000 following a cholecystectomy at Basildon Hospital
- £105,000 compensation against Croydon University Hospital after laser surgery leaves patient 95% blind in one eye
- Widower receives £120,000 following admission of liability from Chase Farm Hospital
Jonathan is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and of AvMA (Action against Medical Accidents) helpline. The leading legal directory, The Legal 500 2012, describe him as a 'key individual' and note that he is "‘personable’, and ‘like a dog with a bone’" when it comes to litigation.