49 year old dies from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos as a child
A 49 year old mother of two died from
mesothelioma after being exposed while greeting her father
home from work everyday as a child. Mrs Bhatti was diagnosed with
Mesothelioma in June 2010 and tragically passed away 18 months
later. Her father, who survives her, was employed by Hills
Construction in Easleigh, Hampshire. He would regularly saw
corrugated asbestos sheets by hand and then return home with the
dust fibres on his clothes.
Keith Wiseman, Coroner at Southampton Coroner's office confirmed that her exposure was most likely a result of second hand exposure caused by Mrs Bhatti washing her fathers clothes.
Andrew Morgan, Partner and specialist mesothelioma and asbestos solicitor commented: "This is another example of a family devastated by the effects of asbestos exposure. Whilst the average age at which people are diagnosed as suffering from mesothelioma continues to increase, we see more and more younger clients who were exposed as children or as young adults, many of whom now have young children of their own. Some were exposed to "second-hand" asbestos, brought home on their father's clothes. Others were exposed to small amounts of asbestos for brief periods in the 1970s or 1980s. The Coroner's verdict reminds us that the poisonous legacy of asbestos is still with us."
To read more about this story click this link to the Daily Mail article.