David Hammett was exposed to asbestos when working as an apprentice cabinet maker for E F Mills & Son in Colchester between about 1958 and 1963. The main business of the firm was to make luxury mobile homes, many for fairground and circus people. The homes were known as "Compton Caravans" because of the site where this work was done. They were fitted out to a very high standard and had fireplaces which were lined with asbestos sheets.
The business no longer exists and the owner passed away some years ago. Caroline Pinfold, who was instructed by Mr Hammett to pursue a claim for his mesothelioma, was able to trace the relevant insurers from a previous claim that was successfully conducted by Fieldfisher.
Mr Hammett was also exposed to asbestos doing carpentry work on housing estates for Sir Lindsay Parkinson and H C James in the 1960s. His exposure to asbestos by sawing, drilling and fixing asbestos materials without any respiratory protection in all of this work caused his mesothelioma which was diagnosed in October 2013.
Caroline Pinfold successfully settled the claim in March 2015.
Mr Hammett said:
"I would like to thank Caroline for all her help and kindness in pursuing my claim and achieving a very successful result. After 50 years of marriage my wife Delphine and I are so grateful that this award makes our future together secure. Our anniversary present to ourselves was a trip to Rome which was so much more enjoyable after receiving the news from Caroline about the award just before we were due to leave."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
BTOG Conference 2018
Fieldfisher attended the 2018 British Thoracic Oncology Group Conference held in January 2018.
Ground-breaking settlement provides Keytruda lifeline for mesothelioma patient Pamela Stubberfield
The first known settlement involving a claim for the cost of future immunotherapy with Keytruda where the insurer pays for all future treatment.
Tribute to fireman who died from asbestos contamination doing a job he loved
73-year-old John Nicholls tragically died after being exposed to asbestos while working as a firefighter.
Small but positive step in the ongoing fight against mesothelioma
Danielle Smalley from Hampshire is reported to have been given the all-clear following extensive surgery on her stomach and bowel to remove tumours on her stomach lining, probably caused by swallowing asbestos as a child.
A lifeline you've probably never heard of: Caron Heyes describes the vital work of Admiral Nurses for people living with dementia