Maurice Hewitt began employment with the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority in Sellafield in 1954 and was exposed to asbestos when carrying out maintenance work there when he had to remove asbestos lagging on pipes, usually to repair valves or replace a section of pipe. He worked in the areas where the uranium was fed into tanks to be melted down. The pipe work in this area was covered with asbestos lagging because of the high temperatures involved.
In September 1963 he transferred to the Nuclear Reactor Site at Winfrith, Dorset. He was also exposed to asbestos there because many of the pipes were covered with asbestos insulation, again because of the high temperatures involved.
Mr Hewitt was diagnosed with mesothelioma in March 2015. He was 90 years old when he was given this diagnosis but had been very active until the onset of symptoms in January of that year. He had shared the housework with his wife and had regularly walked into town to do the shopping before suffering from mesothelioma. His wife suffers from osteoporosis and had relied on him to do some of the more strenuous household chores as well as shopping.
Mr Hewitt instructed Caroline Pinfold to pursue a claim against the UKAEA in April 2015 and she successfully concluded this for him in September 2015.
Mr Hewitt was very pleased that the matter had been settled during his lifetime and commented:
"Caroline has worked hard and proved to be a sincere and professional lawyer, with a satisfactory result with my claim. Thank you so very much indeed."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial claim for widow of perfectionist whose work maintaining their home was almost irreplaceable
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables
Arti Shah comments in the Evening Standard about her client's case in which their husband died of a heart attack after being told to take Gaviscon