Mr William Rundle was age 76 when he became unwell and was referred to hospital in April 2012 for tests. He underwent a surgical procedure and biopsies were taken but unfortunately, the results were negative but there was a suspicion of mesothelioma. Sadly, Mr Rundle's condition deteriorated rapidly and he passed away on 23 October 2012. A Post-Mortem examination revealed that the cause of death was due to the industrial disease of mesothelioma.
Prior to his illness, Mr Rundle was active for his age and was very hands on with DIY because he was an experienced carpenter. Mr Rundle enjoyed attending the local social club with his wife and participated in dance classes and played snooker.
Peter Williams was instructed to investigate a claim on behalf of the widow, Georgina Rundle after his death which had been caused by mesothelioma. When Mr Rundle's son, Andrew contacted Fieldfisher he wasn't too sure where his father had been exposed to asbestos but was able to tell us that his father had worked most of his life as a carpenter in the exhibition industry.
This was a claim where the family were unsure about the circumstances of Mr Rundle's exposure to asbestos and we therefore requested Mr Rundle's employment history from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) which listed an entry for The Mersey Insulation Co Ltd in 1964/65. The name of the company suggested that it was a thermal insulation company and that the Deceased may have worked as a lagger.
Peter Williams made contact with solicitors in the Liverpool area to see if they had acted on behalf of clients who had worked for this company. Fortunately, we were able to locate a witness who had worked for the company around about the same time and even though he had not worked with the late Mr Rundle, he was able to describe that the company employed laggers to work on refurbishment of ships at the Mersey Docks. The laggers removed old asbestos lagging from the pipes and boilers and also applied new asbestos lagging. The ships were full of asbestos dust and fibres.
In addition, we were able to obtain a statement from the late Mr Rundle's brother who said that his brother had set up his own business sometime in the mid-60s making reproduction furniture but he recollected that his brother had mentioned to the family that he had worked for a period of time in Liverpool working alongside laggers who played with the asbestos and had snowball fights. Mr Rundle was not able to remember the name of the company but it was clear from the witness who had come forward and the HMRC employment history that the description tied in with the Mersey Insulation Company.
We were able to trace the insurer and the claim was reported and on 7 April 2015 the insurer admitted liability. Solicitor, Shaheen Mosquera entered into negotiation settlements and Mrs Rundle accepted a six figure settlement offer towards the end of September 2015.
Mr Rundle went on to say:
"From the day Fieldfisher were instructed to deal with my late father's claim I felt I was in good hands. I had every confidence in their professional and courteous manner and have always been shown respect and compassion during this difficult time. I would therefore like to take this opportunity to express my grateful thanks to both Peter Williams and Shaheen Mosquera in pursuing the claim to a successful conclusion and for ensuring my mother will now have a secure financial future."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
Fieldfisher wins Personal Injury Team of the Year award 2017
The team here at Fieldfisher have won Personal Injury Team of the Year at the 2017 Solicitors Journal Awards.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables