Mr Weston worked as an apprentice coach builder for British Rail at their depot in Stratford, east London from 1954 to 1963, with a break of two years for his National Service. He worked on the construction of new coaches and the refurbishment of both old timber and metal coaches. He particularly carried out refurbishment of coaches on the old "green and yellow" line that ran to Shenfield in Essex.
Old timber coaches contained pipes for heating under their seats that were covered with asbestos insulation material. These pipes also ran underneath the floors of the carriages. Mr Weston would have to break into the insulation of these pipes to remove them. Once the pipes were removed, they and the lagging surrounding them were simply thrown to one side to be disposed of.
Metal coaches also contained asbestos insulation boards between the metal panels of the coaches for installation purposes. The metal panels had to be removed in order to gain access to the area surrounding and behind them. A metal hand grinder would be used to cut out some of the panels, but others were attached with rivets and these were drilled off. Once the panels had been removed, Mr Weston would lift out the asbestos boards behind them. The boards were removed easily but were so soft that they would break easily. The boards were generally tossed to one side to be cleared away at the end of each day.
All of this work created substantial amounts of asbestos dust and his employers took no precautions to protect him from this. They did not advise him that asbestos could be a risk to his health or advise him about precautions that could be taken to prevent him breathing in the asbestos dust and fibres.
Mr Weston became increasingly breathless from February 2014 and when this became severe he was sent for an x-ray in June 2014. He had further x-rays and fluid was drained from his lung the following month. He then had a video-assisted thoracoscopy in September and pleural biopsies were obtained . These were sent to the Royal Brompton Hospital for a specialist opinion. The specialist concluded that the features were atypical but suspicious of mesothelioma.
He continued to suffer from increasing pain and further fluid was drained from his chest. In December 2014 he was admitted for a CT guided pleural biopsy and the report from that concluded that the appearances were compatible with spindle cell mesothelioma. He was in a great deal of pain by this time and was referred for radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Mr Weston retired in 2003 but remained active and was employed part time in a family business until September 2014 when he had to stop because of attending various hospital appointments and his severe breathlessness.
He instructed Caroline Pinfold who saw him at his home in January 2015 and successfully settled his claim, including a claim for loss of his earnings, in June 2015 during his lifetime.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables