Terence Warwick worked for the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) from 1961 until 1967 and was based at Lombard Road Power Station in Battersea as a furnace bricklayer's mate.
At the power station there was a small shed in which the bricklayers would store all of their materials. They shared the shed with a lagger and the lagger's mate who were also employed at the power station. The lagger's mate would frequently mix asbestos lagging powder to form a lagging paste inside the shed . When the asbestos powder was poured into a tank of water, a huge cloud of dust formed inside the shed that would take some time to settle. The shed was also rarely swept and so asbestos dust was continuously present in this shed which Mr Warwick would visit at least once a day. The lagger's mate was often mixing up the lagging paste when Mr Warwick was inside the shed. Mr Warwick was unaware of the dangers of asbestos at this time but found this working atmosphere extremely unpleasant. He asked the lagger's mate not to mix up the powder inside the shed but his requests were ignored.
He was also exposed to asbestos when carrying out his own work because pipes at the back of the boilers in the power station were covered with asbestos lagging that was frequently broken off releasing asbestos dust and fibres into the air around him.
The CEGB took no precautions to protect Mr Warwick from exposure to asbestos dust and fibres. They did not advise him of the potential dangers to his health from this or of precautions that he might have taken to avoid it.
Mr Warwick developed asbestosis as a result of his exposure to asbestos and had been receiving industrial injuries disablement benefit for this since 2003. However, he was not advised that he could claim compensation against his former employers for an asbestos-related condition until July 2014 when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. He then instructed Caroline Pinfold to pursue a claim for damages against the CEGB.
Caroline obtained an admission of liability and an interim payment of compensation during his lifetime, but sadly he passed away before his claim could be concluded when his condition deteriorated rapidly. One of his daughters continued the claim on behalf of his estate and it settled a few months later. The settlement included compensation for the care that had been provided by his family as a result of the mesothelioma.
His daughter wrote
" I would like to thank you for fighting my dad's corner and as a family we appreciate everything you did for dad and us, no money will ever bring back my dad but we will be able to do a nice memorial in the cemetery so we have somewhere to go."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial recovery after a communication breakdown during tonsillectomy triggers a sickle cell crisis, ending in the death of a young girl
Mother requires hip replacement and 6 months in hospital after nursing failure at John Radcliffe Hospital
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year