We were instructed in November 2007 by Robyn who has mesothelioma. Her only exposure to asbestos dust occurred between 1945 and 1949, during which period Robyn was aged between 3 and 7, when she lived at two addresses each about a quarter of a mile from the Cape Asbestos Company factory on Harts Lane, Barking, Essex. Robyn also went to Northbury School, on North Street, directly opposite the factory.
Robyn had no recollection of conditions in the streets surrounding the Cape factory. She remembered attending Northbury School. We obtained a statement from her sister who is two years older than Robyn in which she stated that the family lived at the two addresses in question and that she and the Claimant went to Northbury School. The sister was, however, not able to recall environmental conditions around the factory.
From the files of previous cases we have conducted of neighbourhood exposure from the Cape factory, we were able to put forward evidence that asbestos dust accumulated on doorsteps, window and windowsills of houses around the factory, that asbestos dust, when windows were open, got into houses and onto curtains and furniture inside, that the roads and pavements around the factory had a layer of asbestos dust on them and that flecks of asbestos dust were seen on the playground at Northbury School.
This evidence prompted Cape to make an early admission of liability and the claim settled on a full liability value, six months after instructions.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial claim for widow of perfectionist whose work maintaining their home was almost irreplaceable
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables