Peter Turner was a boilermaker on various P&O ships between 1959 and 1971. During this period the boilers were lagged with asbestos and Peter was exposed to this on a daily basis.
He often had to remove the lagging from boilers and associated pipework to carry out maintenance and repairs. He then had to mix up new lagging plaster from asbestos powder and water. He also made jackets for the boilers using asbestos cloth, which he filled with an asbestos flock and then sewed up with asbestos twine.
These activities produced large amounts of asbestos dust and fibers which hung around in the confined space of the boiler room. The dust would get onto his clothes and he could not avoid breathing it in because he was not provided with any sort of mask.
Sadly Peter contracted mesothelioma as a result of this work and this was diagnosed in May 2013. The illness progressed rapidly and Peter passed away in June 2013. It was not possible to conclude a mesothelioma claim during Peter's lifetime, but this was carried on by his civil partner.
P&O later accepted full liability and the claim settled in December 2013. The money will enable his partner to remain in their home.
His partner said "I am very grateful to Caroline and thank her for dealing with this so quickly. Peter would be glad to know that I will be able to stay in our home as this was his wish. Caroline has dealt with this sensitively and efficiently for us."
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial claim for widow of perfectionist whose work maintaining their home was almost irreplaceable
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables