Mark Bowman was instructed by Bernadette, with the benefit of BTE insurance, in connection with a claim for damages arising out of liposuction that she had under the care of Dr Brown.
Bernadette had been concerned about the appearance of her thighs, stomach and hips and saw Dr Brown with a view to having treatment.
Dr Brown explained that liposuction would be a simple procedure and that Bernadette would benefit from such a procedure and get a good result. Bernadette agreed to have the treatment, which took place on 14 April 2005.
Dr Brown used a "super wet" technique to infiltrate Bernadette's abdomen with fluid before the liposuction removal of the fat. During the infiltration process Dr Brown perforated Bernadette' bowel. This was not appreciated at the time.
Bernadette's initially felt fine after surgery but a few days later started to complain of severe stomach pains. She was taken back to hospital, where it was eventually appreciated that her bowel had been perforated during the liposuction procedure.
Bernadette required an emergency laparotomy and post-operatively she was diagnosed as suffering from pleurisy of her right lung, pneumonia and embolisms in her left lung. She subsequently developed a left hernia as well. Bernadette was prescribed Warfarin which she had to take for a total of 6 months and was left with an unsightly 8 inch long scar across her abdomen.
Mark Bowman instructed a Consultant Plastic Surgeon to provide advice in the case. It was alleged on behalf of Bernadette that Dr Brown did not have sufficient control of the infiltration cannula during the performance of the surgical procedure and that it was negligent for him to have perforated the bowel. This was denied by the Defendants throughout the case and the case was listed for trial in the Summer of 2009.
In spite of the denial of negligence, following exchange of witness evidence and just prior to exchange of expert evidence, the Defendants offered to settle Bernadette's claim in the sum of £35,000, which represented a settlement on a full liability basis. The offer was accepted by Bernadette who received this sum in full.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables