We have recovered compensation for our client who nearly died following a hospital-acquired infection caused by a superbug at Guy's Hospital in London.
Alfred Nel almost died during an outbreak of pseudomonas that killed one woman and infected 18 others, including Alfred, at the hospital in late 2005.
The bug is not as common as other hospital-acquired infections such as MRSA.
A senior doctor at the hospital told Alfred, a 44 year old plumber from Luton, that the almost fatal blood poisoning he developed had been caused by pseudomonas carried on medical equipment.
The bacteria was present on an unclean microscope that doctors used in November 2005 when they removed a stent that had been used to treat kidney stones.
Alfred spent seven weeks in hospital undergoing treatment for the superbug infection. He was close the death.
Alfred was extremely unwell following his infection with pseudomonas, and has not made a full recovery. He has been unable to return to his work as a plumber or to pursue sports. He has persistent pain.
Guy's Hospital initially took a surprisingly defensive approach to the case, but eventually the case was settled for more than half a million pounds, without the need to go to court.
Before the case, this superbug had had little publicity. Edwina was reported widely in the media as a result of this case, including appearing on TV. She has campaigned for better reporting of superbugs such as pseudomonas so that the full extent of the problem can be made clear.
After the case, Alfred and his wife Veronica said:
"We are only so thankful that our paths crossed. You have become a very special person in our hearts"
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
To prevent mistakes, the government must not ignore the stats on birth injuries
The alarming figures revealed by the BBC this week detailing the number of mistakes routinely occurring in maternity wards around the country must be taken very seriously by the Government.
Fixed costs: The end of patient justice
A letter from the Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA), the charity for patient safety and justice, published in the Telegraph this week, asked the Health Secretary to reconsider proposals concerning fixed costs in clinical negligence claims.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables
Arti Shah comments in the Evening Standard about her client's case in which their husband died of a heart attack after being told to take Gaviscon