Mark Bowman acted for Davina in a claim for medical negligence against Newham University Hospital NHS Trust. Mark recovered compensation on behalf of his client after a surgeon left a pair of forceps inside her abdomen after a routine operation.
On 04 March 2009 Davina attended Newham General Hospital for repair of a vaginal fistula. Post operatively, she suffered from extreme and debilitating abdominal pain, increased heart rate and increased temperature. She was assured that she was suffering from regular post operative symptoms and was discharged home.
Davina's symptoms continued until 10 March 2009 when an abdominal x-ray was performed which revealed that a set of 15cm long surgical forceps had been left inside her abdomen following surgery some 6 days earlier. Open surgery was therefore required, during which it was noted that Davina's sigmoid had been perforated and that there was damage to her small bowel.
Davina remained an inpatient for a further 10 days, before eventually being discharged from hospital on 20 March 2009. Davina required regular out-patient follow ups and continued to suffer from ongoing physical symptoms as well as emotional symptoms as a result of the trauma that she went through.
Davina instructed Mark Bowman, specialist medical negligence lawyer at Fieldfisher to pursue a claim. Proceedings were issued against Newham University Hospital NHS Trust and liability was admitted. Following receipt of a report from a general surgical expert, the claim settled and Davina received substantial compensation for her pain and suffering as well as the expenses she incurred as a result of her treatment.
Further to a news item posted on our website last week, this is a prime example of a 'never event'. An occurrence that the NHS have rightly deemed 'should never have occurred'.
At the conclusion of the case Mark Bowman commented: "It is astonishing that even in the 21st Century, a surgical instrument can be left inside a patient following surgery. Such instances should, quite simply, never occur. Sadly, there were 161 other incidents where foreign objects were left inside a patient after an operation over the last two years. There really is no excuse for this level of medical negligence."
Davina commented: "This traumatic episode has left me still in urgent need of counselling but, through my misfortune, Newham Hospital have gone to great pains to put new checking procedures in place to try to eliminate such a distressing experience on future patients. Mark Bowman at Field Fisher Waterhouse has been thorough and attentive throughout my case."
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables