On 22 October 1997, Derek was seen at Kent & Canterbury Hospital. He was 12 at the time and was known to have a Grade 2-36 apical pan systolic murmur and a ventricular septal defect.
Derek was placed on the semi-urgent waiting list at the Royal Brompton Hospital for surgical repair of the coarctation, where he was admitted on 2 December 1997.
During the operation, for reasons unexplained, Derek was given the then normal potassium level, Derek was given 5% dextrose, 20mls fluid containing potassium chloride at a dose of 40mmol. An 18mm graft was inserted distal to the subclavian artery, bypassing the coarctation.
Following the surgery Derek's potassium levels were abnormally high. It was over three hours before medication was prescribed to reduce these levels.
Despite the introduction of Frusemide and a transfusion of packed cells the potassium levels remained high, and at or about 21.10hrs Derek suffered a cardiac arrest due to high potassium levels.
Resuscitation attempts were unsuccessful and Derek was certified dead at 22.10hrs.
We acted on behalf of Derek’s parents. Proceedings were issued alleging that there was a failure to treat Derek’s rising potassium levels and that had Derek’s potassium levels been managed appropriately, Derek’s death was preventable.
The defence admitted liability but denied the parent’s claim for damages for psychiatric injury. Following negotiations, Derek's case eventually settled in the sum of £53,000.00.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Charities we support
A Face in the Crowd: Maxillofacial Trauma Conference
Fieldfisher, alongside ABI solutions, is very pleased to be running a conference in London on the 5th December to discuss different aspects of maxillofacial injuries.
Paul McNeil's six-figure settlement for woman wrongly injected with penicillin
A woman severely allergic to penicillin has been awarded six-figure damages after an anaesthetist at the private Runnymede hospital near Guildford injected her with the drug Amoxicillin.
Mistakes at the Portland Hospital leave young mother disfigured and unhappy
Following a series of catastrophic events at the privately-run Portland Hospital in central London, Jonathan Zimmern recovered over £100,000 in damages for his client.
Fieldfisher hosts successful conference for practitioners working with people suffering catastrophic neurological injury
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables
Arti Shah comments in the Evening Standard about her client's case in which their husband died of a heart attack after being told to take Gaviscon