Mehmet fell from a step ladder and banged his head. He was taken to Barnet Hospital and was diagnosed as having suffered a small bleed in his brain.
Subsequently, the bleed was treated surgically at the Royal Free Hospital, without complication.
During his admission to Barnet Hospital, Mehmet was subjected to serious failings in very basic nursing care and hygiene. A cannula (a tube via a needle) was inserted into Mehmet’s right and left wrists through which fluids and medication could be introduced into him. As a result of poor nursing care the cannula sites became infected with MRSA, which went undiagnosed and untreated.
The allegations of negligence included that the nurse did not wash her hands before inserting the cannulas, or wear gloves, and did not subsequently check the cannula sites in his wrists for signs of infection and cleanliness. Unfortunately, as a result of these failings, bacterial infection developed in both wrists which were not diagnosed or acted upon, even though Mehmet’s ex-wife informed the nurses more than once that the sites looked infected and were smelly. The care taken of the cannula sites did not comply with Barnet Hospital’s own policy relating to cannulas. The hospital had come under similar criticism previously in the press.
The infection continued to get worse, and Mehmet became progressively unwell with fever, drowsiness and disorientation. Still no recognition, investigation or treatment was made, and he was later transferred to the Royal Free Hospital. Very quickly after arrival, he was diagnosed with MRSA infection and seen to have abscesses and cellulitis at both cannula sites. He was extremely ill.
Mehmet had undergone heart valve replacement surgery many years earlier. Sadly, because the MRSA had been left untreated, it had spread to his heart and seriously damaged the heart valve. He had to undergo urgent heart surgery to replace the valve. His recovery was slow and difficult.
At the time of the nursing negligence and poor treatment, Mehmet was still working as an electrician. However, even if he had not had the MRSA infection, he would probably have only been able to work for a few more years because of his pre-existing heart problem.
Mehmet instructed medical negligence specialist and Partner, Edwina Rawson. The defendant, Barnet & Chase Farm Hospital NHS Trust, admitted negligence. Causation was denied, arguing that even if the infection had been identified, earlier treatment with antibiotics would not have prevented the spread. However, the claim settled successfully for £210,000.
Mehmet confirmed that the outcome exceeded his expectations and had this to say about Edwina;
Edwina did a brilliant job in dealing with my case, with total professionalism and legal skill. She relentlessly pushed the case forward to reach a successful conclusion. She was brave and did not give up. She was also compassionate, and genuinely cared about me and the outcome.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Substantial recovery after a communication breakdown during tonsillectomy triggers a sickle cell crisis, ending in the death of a young girl
Mother requires hip replacement and 6 months in hospital after nursing failure at John Radcliffe Hospital
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year