We pursued a paediatrics negligence claim for Thomas who suffered brain damage at Greenwich Hospital because the settings in his incubator were wrong. The claim settled just before trial for £2.25 million.
Thomas was born at the Greenwich Hospital on 16 December 1992 at 30 weeks gestation. Although 10 weeks premature, his weight was good and his head circumference was above the 97th percentile.
In accordance with responsible practice, Thomas was electively incubated and transferred to the special care baby unit.
Subsequently, Thomas developed severe spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy sustained as a result of periventricular leukomalacia (PVL), which is the death of brain tissue.
Our expert evidence indicated that the PVL occurred as a result of hypocarbia, a deficiency of carbon dioxide in the blood.
Our evidence indicated that Thomas' blood gases should have been analysed on the evening of the day of his birth. In fact, such an analysis took place at around midnight and indicated that Thomas was at risk of hypocarbia.
Instead of accepting the results, the registrar decided that there was a mechanical fault in the ventilator. Accordingly, the ventilator settings were not reduced and resulted in Thomas being exposed to excessive amounts of oxygen and diminished carbon monoxide for a period of over 9 hours.
Paul McNeil was instructed by Thomas' parents initially to pursue a claim in relation to the obstetric management.
But further investigations revealed the potential claim in relation to the paediatric management of the ventilation settings.
Proceedings were issued in January 2000 and initially the claim was defended both on breach of duty and causation. Ultimately, negligence was conceded (in relation to the later allegation) but there remained considerable difficulties on causation i.e. precisely when the PVL occurred.
The trial was fixed for 29 January 2001 with an estimated time of three weeks. On 25 January, the defendant agreed to settle the claim for £2.25 million together with an indemnity against any private educational costs limited to £120,000.
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
Damages for family of baby who died 2 days after birth following a series of failings by the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Estimated £10 million recovery after obstetric and neonatal negligence leaves girl with quadriplegic cerebral palsy and auditory sensory neuropathy caused by bilirubin encephalopathy
Cerebral Palsy claim settled for £9,000,000 within one year of instruction, ensuring rapid financial help for son’s care needs
Cerebral palsy claim settled against King George Hospital for £11,000,000. Huge settlement recovered where three previous solicitors failed
Merton Council accepts liability for death of teacher who was exposed to asbestos in Mitcham's St Thomas of Canterbury Middle School
The Telegraph reports on the Bedside cot that's still on sale after death of seven-week-old baby Grace Roseman
The Sun reports on Jill Greenfield's case of Grace Roseman who was tragically killed by the“dangerous” Bednest cot in April last year