Mark Bowman was instructed by the parents of Christopher, an eight month old infant, after a hospital had failed to recognise and treat symptoms of meningitis.
The family were Christmas shopping in Oxford Street when Christopher developed an acute illness. They immediately took him to the A&E Department at the University College London Hospital (UCL).
Christopher was not seen by a nurse for over an hour. The nurse recorded a very high pulse rate and a temperature of 38.4ºC. Two hours later he was seen by a junior doctor, by which time he could barely lift his head and had vomited twice.
The doctor performed a cursory examination and diagnosed tonsillitis. He prescribed calpol, nurofen and penicillin and discharged from hospital without further treatment.
Christopher's condition continued to deteriorate and on admission to the A&E department were the symptoms of meningitis recognised and treatment begun.
Time of arrival at Royal Free Hospital was registered at 18:13 and he was seen within 15 minutes. The triage nurse recognised the symptoms of meningitis including a rash on his chest and he was immediately referred to a doctor. Shortly afterwards a diagnosis of meningococcal septicaemia was made, but it was too late by this point and Christopher died at 23:00.
UCL's own investigations accepted mistakes in the way in which Christopher had been treated and the GMC (General Medical Council) was called to investigate the junior doctor who discharged him.
Initially the hospital denied responsibility for the death and argued even with proper treatment that Christopher would still have died.
We obtained an opinion from a consultant paediatrician and subsequently liability was admitted. Obviously the baby's parents were distraught at the loss of their son. Following negotiations, the parents received £50,000.
At the end of the case, the mother said:
"Throughout the case Mark was very helpful, very compassionate and very, very good.
He would always help and listen when I was tearful or upset and was more than just my legal adviser; he was always there for me"
If you would like more information, or if you need to make a medical negligence claim, please contact Mark Bowman on
- T: 020 7861 4043, or
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can speak to any member of our Medical Negligence team on freephone 0800 358 3848 or,
- e-Mail us at email@example.com or,
- Complete our short enquiry form.
Contact us on freephone 0800 358 3848
Or start your claim online.
Fieldfisher is: ‘a firm full of the highest quality lawyers in the field' and has an 'outstanding depth of expertise’ - Legal 500 2015, Awarded Top Tier
"The group is praised for its commitment to 'demystifying the legal process' while this is a firm for which the client has always been a priority"
Fieldfisher's Personal Injury and Medical Negligence solicitors are proudly listed as 'Super Lawyers' in both on-line and off-line printed publishings.
Fieldfisher has successfully been recognised as an "Occupation and Asbestos Disease Specialists" Fieldfisher are now recognised as assessors
Fieldfisher are signatories of the Ethical Marketing Charter demonstrating our commitment to responsible, transparent and professional marketing.
Fieldfisher has been named as the winners of the Legal 500 United Kingdom 2015: *Claimant Clinical Negligence Award*. Testament to our expertise.
The psychology behind admitting a fatal mistake
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine believe that better training in the social psychology behind how we're affected by making mistakes can help doctors to be more open when things go wrong.
Fundamental errors in midwives training risks the lives of more babies
The Times reported yesterday that during the inquest of baby Billy Wilson, who died at three-days old, the midwife in charge of Billy's mother, Carla, at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield did not know how to use the CTG machine.
Christina Gardiner highlights worrying similarities in baby death investigations
The number of baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital draws worrying parallels with one of our own cases regarding substandard medical care provided at Watford General Hospital.
Surgeon Ian Paterson's case proves private hospitals need proper regulation
Following the conviction last month of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, the Royal College of Surgeons has rightly called for a review of the way private hospitals are regulated.
The Sun reports on Keith Barrett's case of Richard Giles, who died after being electrocuted when his lorry hit 11,000 volt cables